Fitting a western saddle

tobiano1984

Visit site
Hi - does anyone have any experience of fitting western saddles? I'm looking at getting one for my lightweight cob gelding - he's 15hh and currently a m/w in an English saddle.

I've ridden western a lot, but never had to buy a saddle - from my experiences in the US I've noticed that they seem to use any saddle on any horse, but then I guess most of them are quarter horses! I know what seat size I need - 16", but I've been looking at ebay at the western saddles on there, and no one ever seems to be able to say whether they are quarter horse bars, semi QH or full. I definitely want a US saddle, not a cheap indian one.

Any pointers?

Rhandir

Visit site
be very careful on ebay unless you know exactly what you are looking at, there are some little gems to be found but for the most part they tend to be pretty gruesome. I can highly recommend Hooves Western http://www.westernsaddles.uk.com/ Jim and Lesley are very knowledgeable and sell both new and used saddles (and no, I don't work for them) They will also not rip you off but will do their utmost to find you exactly what you want and make sure it fits properly. It is a myth that a western saddle will fit any horse, the fit is very important to your horses well being and way of going ... it has to be right.