Fitting the curb chain on a Kimblewick

peanut

Visit site
I've bought a second hand kimblewick off ebay to try on my horse who is very strong out hacking as recommended on someone else's thread.

Please could someone help me with the fitting of the curb chain as I 'm not sure how loose it should be.

Shay

Visit site
As a rough guide you should have two fingers between the chain and the chin groove. More technically it should be fitted so that the bit shanks do not rotate more than 45 degrees. But the finger test works just fine!

be positive

Visit site
First you need to make sure it it twisted round so lies completely flat, then I fit it so you can get a couple of fingers in and when you take the contact more firmly it closes the gap, you can test while you stand next to him by picking up the reins, better to be a little tighter than too loose in an attempt to make it less severe because it will just allow the bit to over rotate in his mouth.

peanut

Visit site
Thank you very much. These bits have gone out of fashion in favour of the Pelham but I thought I'd give it a try. In my day they were very popular for speedy strong ponies!

be positive

Visit site
Thank you very much. These bits have gone out of fashion in favour of the Pelham but I thought I'd give it a try. In my day they were very popular for speedy strong ponies!

I think they have gone because of the dutch gag which seems to be the bit of choice for so many people, I rarely see a pelham or kimblewick but see plenty of DG's in one form or other.

Otherwise

Visit site
Twist it so it lies flat and then give it one extra twist before hooking it on to make it lie flat. If you practise without the extra twist and with it you should see a difference in how flat the chain lies on the horse. Nothing annoys me more than twisted curb chains.

scats

Visit site

We always had our speedy jumping ponies in Kimblewicks and you certainly saw a lot more of them around in the early to mid 90s. I’ve always really liked them as a bit and they have suited numerous exuberant types that we’ve had here over the years. I keep a supply in my tack room and they are my go to for anything with a tendency to be a bit strong and buzzy out hacking or on Farm rides.