Five stage vetting and potential sarcoids

Joined
16 July 2021
Messages
3
So today I’ve had a five stage vetting done on a four year old Connie. Physically in movement and everything but what she has failed on are some unidentified bumps along the girth line which may or may not be sarcoids. There is evidence that there has been some rubbing from the girth but vet is saying that they aren’t scabs but like a skin thickening. My dilemma now is do I purchase the pony or not. This will be our first ownership and we are very lucky to have the support of experience behind us.
Has anyone else had the same experience and if so did you take the risk and purchase and where did you stand on insurance for vet fee cover. I’m not sure what to do. Walk away from an amazing pony which potentially could have problems but hasn’t been diagnosed or pass on her for something that may or may not develop.She is amazing in temp and physical movement sound. If these bumps had been elsewhere away from tack areas I think I would have made the decision to purchase but I’m completely torn on this one.
 

irishdraft

Well-Known Member
Joined
13 November 2009
Messages
1,268
Difficult one, I've had two youngsters that have both had sarcoids come up at that age . Any chance you could get another opinion ?
 
Joined
16 July 2021
Messages
3
I could be it’s been extremely difficult to get one vet out to do vetting, others were giving me mid October availability so I don’t think the seller will hang on for me to make a decision
 

meleeka

Well-Known Member
Joined
14 September 2001
Messages
6,892
Location
Hants, England
I bought one that failed a vetting for a sarcoid, but for £1. I don’t think i’d pay good money for a potential problem. I think your insurance would also exclude skin related issues.
 

Equi

Well-Known Member
Joined
25 October 2010
Messages
12,319
As said the horse won’t be insurable for any skin issues and if you don’t disclose them to a company you could get in trouble.

at 4 with girth lumps I’m not sure I’d risk it to be honest. There are many more connies out there who will match what you are looking for.
 

Birker2020

Well-Known Member
Joined
18 January 2021
Messages
2,345
So today I’ve had a five stage vetting done on a four year old Connie. Physically in movement and everything but what she has failed on are some unidentified bumps along the girth line which may or may not be sarcoids. There is evidence that there has been some rubbing from the girth but vet is saying that they aren’t scabs but like a skin thickening. My dilemma now is do I purchase the pony or not. This will be our first ownership and we are very lucky to have the support of experience behind us.
Has anyone else had the same experience and if so did you take the risk and purchase and where did you stand on insurance for vet fee cover. I’m not sure what to do. Walk away from an amazing pony which potentially could have problems but hasn’t been diagnosed or pass on her for something that may or may not develop.She is amazing in temp and physical movement sound. If these bumps had been elsewhere away from tack areas I think I would have made the decision to purchase but I’m completely torn on this one.
I had what I think was a lucky escape recently when I rang an advert for a super 'on paper' horse and was told someone else was wanting to view him, despite me being able to view four days earlier than had been arranged with this person. So I decided to see what happened.

His advert however still remained on the website so I text the owner to find out what was going on, maybe the lady hadn't like him for her own reasons. And the lovely owner said the woman had viewed him, arranged a vetting and he'd subsequently failed due to low grade heart murmur and sarcoids. Much as I loved the horse and felt he ticked most, if not all the boxes, I would never have considered one with sarcoids. Apart from not being covered on insurance they can cause interference with tack when they grow or spread and can also ulcerate as I had this with my first horse. Just not worth the risk in my opinion.
 

asmp

Well-Known Member
Joined
13 March 2010
Messages
2,854
I had what I think was a lucky escape recently when I rang an advert for a super 'on paper' horse and was told someone else was wanting to view him, despite me being able to view four days earlier than had been arranged with this person. So I decided to see what happened.

His advert however still remained on the website so I text the owner to find out what was going on, maybe the lady hadn't like him for her own reasons. And the lovely owner said the woman had viewed him, arranged a vetting and he'd subsequently failed due to low grade heart murmur and sarcoids. Much as I loved the horse and felt he ticked most, if not all the boxes, I would never have considered one with sarcoids. Apart from not being covered on insurance they can cause interference with tack when they grow or spread and can also ulcerate as I had this with my first horse. Just not worth the risk in my opinion.
Looking at the Billy auctions last week, a horse with a sarcoid went for over £50,000!
 

Goldenstar

Well-Known Member
Joined
28 March 2011
Messages
41,122
leave it that’s a nightmare location its not worth the risk .

Looking at the Billy auctions last week, a horse with a sarcoid went for over £50,000!
More likely than not that’s been bought for a pro rider with an owner paying the bill .
No skin off the pro noses if it goes very very wrong and they won’t be left without anything to ride for months if it’s a nightmare to sort .
 
Top