Fixed Weymouth or sliding cheek

Pinkvboots

Visit site
How do you decide which to use? Is it the same concept as the snaffle loose ring or eggbutt?

He can be a bit chompy and fiddly in a loose ring snaffle with a peanut lozenge but he does go nicely most if the time its mainly when his put under pressure or finds something difficult, but he tended to over bend and evade anything that is too fixed so was wondering which Weymouth to try?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I use a short shank fixed Weymouth. I would be a little wary of moving onto a double just yet if your lad has a tendency to shorten his neck and overbend.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I would be a little wary of moving onto a double just yet if your lad has a tendency to shorten his neck and overbend.

^^ this, however some horses do surprise you, I have one that tended to get behind the snaffle but seemed to accept the feel of the double more confidently so try it and see.

I think sliding cheek curbs are getting a bit outdated now, most of the newer style ones available are fixed. I think the idea used to be that you used a sliding cheek curb with a loose ring bradoon but I use loose ring and fixed cheek curb quite happily :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
He only did when I first got him as I rode him in the bit he came with which was a hanging cheek so I changed it to a loose ring and he stopped doing it, he is much further along in his training now and his contact is good my instructor rides him and said he is ready, I just didn't want to put something in like the hanging cheek in case it has the same effect.

He has been shown in a myler Pelham which he went really well in in previous years, we are training elementary at home so my instructor just suggested we try him in a double bridle, I have always shown my horses in Pelhams so never tried a double he thinks a fixed cheek but just wanted other opinions.