Fixing Up Leather Boots!

JAK

Visit site
Middle daughter (13 but tall & elegant for her age, with a 'ladies' figure!) is refusing point blank to wear jodphur boots in any shape or form, whether it is 'correct' for showing or not!
Am not exactly flush with cash at the mo & have decided to look for a decent secondhand pair of leather boots for her, as I think her everyday rubber ones will look a bit 'cheap' next to a nice tweed (may have found a very nice secondhand one), so don't want to spoil the picture!

OH is very competent with his hands (now, now ladies! LOL) & has offered to spend time re-colouring/re-generating rub marks & worn patches!
He is more than capable of doing this but wondered if there were any products you could recommend that would be most suitable for boots or that would make the job a little easier?

Also, are there any boot styles I should avoid that would be a showing 'faux pas', e.g. certain cuts?

Dovorian

Visit site
For showing straight cut tops are generally considered 'correct' but they should be worn with a garter strap. I have not seen any of the moder 'dressage' cut boots with a garter strap, so maybe that another useful task for OH - you can get replacement garter straps pretty easily I should think and the keeper could be made from light coloured tape if fine leather is hard to come by.

On the refurb side - I used some leather restorer sold for antique furniture/car seats and it worked pretty well on the inside 'faded leg' bits.

JAK

Visit site
Oh ta, OH reckons a week to do it properly but worth it in the end hopefully! Would be wary of buying new for a child anyway, as their feet are still growing at that age!

Is only for local shows but she wants to look 'nice' & glared somewhat when I suggested she dress 'down' & 'younger' (cute kid on hairy pony! lol) & prefers to look more 'grown-up', no matter how disadvantageous that they be!
grin.gif

Dovorian

Visit site
Been through that mill!!! JB's were definitely out from about 11 years old onwards.... until recently, mega expensive Ariat's and gaiters came on the scene. You will never win so just accept it and stay poor.

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Been through that mill!!! JB's were definitely out from about 11 years old onwards....

[/ QUOTE ]
Tried the blatant 'You'll look stupid!' (defiant reply of 'I don't care!'), followed by slyly suggesting how well she could do in yellow jodphurs, little jodphur boots & pigtails, sat on her cute hairy pony.......the murderous look I received said that was clearly not an option & she would rather stand last in line on every outing!
grin.gif

Dovorian

Visit site
Aha, that's another one...... what is canary as opposed to yellow? We've traipsed in and out of every single retailer at Windsor Show trying to find acceptably canary jods, by sheer coincidence the most expensive were 'brill' because they had a full seat and looked 'adult', they were also not in my mind really canary!

Snowberry

Visit site
We bought some lovely Sergio Grassi (SP) long boots from ebay - they were immaculate, hardly worn at all and I paid a tenner for them!!
shocked.gif

However, I now know whey they were hardly worn, it take 3 of us pinning Hattie down to get them off. Ben sits on her, Becci holds her from behind and I pull like mad without pulling her legs off!!
blush.gif

Apart from that they were a real bargain!
blush.gif

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Aha, that's another one...... what is canary as opposed to yellow? We've traipsed in and out of every single retailer at Windsor Show trying to find acceptably canary jods, by sheer coincidence the most expensive were 'brill' because they had a full seat and looked 'adult', they were also not in my mind really canary!

[/ QUOTE ]
LMAO - aren't kids wonderful?
grin.gif

'Canary' seems to unfortunately vary from garish yellow to pale custard, doesn't it? Certainly, the more expensive ones do seem to be of a less nausea-inducing colour than the cheapo ones I have to say!
laugh.gif

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We bought some lovely Sergio Grassi (SP) long boots from ebay - they were immaculate, hardly worn at all and I paid a tenner for them!!
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Blimey, that was the bargain of the century then! LOL

[ QUOTE ]
However, I now know whey they were hardly worn, it take 3 of us pinning Hattie down to get them off. Ben sits on her, Becci holds her from behind and I pull like mad without pulling her legs off!!
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah well, 'no pain, no gain' eh?
grin.gif