Flaky skin around base of ears?

Emily99

Visit site
For the past 2 weeks or so my boy has been going a bit bald behind the base of his ears. It seems to have only started after i changed his neck cover, so thinking maybe its rubbing behind his ears so i sorted the stops so i didn't hang down his neck as far. Since then its stayed about the same.

But since thursday until Saturday the baldness has increads alot. Its around the back of his ears and is now spreading around the side. It follows the line of his headpiece and browband, but he hasn't been ridden since thursday so i don't think its that. The skin is flaking off and the heair coming off with it.

I don't suppose anyone has any idea what it could be?? the skin isn't brokwn or sore to the touch? I've started bathing it with hibiscrub to try and keep it clean as he's the muddiest horse on the yard. Someone suggested using some lice powder just in case too, so will be getting some tomorrow. Theres no other patched anywhere else on him??

I'm giving his bridle a good clean now just incase something on there is irratating him.

Any ideas??

mickey

Visit site
I don't know I am afraid - Possibilities are I guess that the tack is rubbing him, or something on the tack has provoked a reaction. Alternatively maybe something like rain scald (very unlikely given the location and fact it follows the headpiece) or some other skin condition like eczema....Probably the hair will have to fall out and then the skin can recover.

zoeandmerlin

Visit site
Does he wear a headcollar in the field.... loan pony we had years ago was a b****r to catch so I used to leave one on and he got the same thing..... think it got a bit clammy under the headpiece, or when it rains it doesnt dry out!!

Just a thought!!