Flash photography at Chatsworth

wispagold

Visit site
I was fence judging at Chatsworth horse trials today and overal had a fab time. But despite hundreds of warnings over the speakers people still insisted on using the flashes on their cameras.

I was at fence 7 and a 8, which in the world cup class was a narrow upright on a bounce stride to a sunken road (I stride in the middle) out 2 strides to a skinny angled brush with a ditch type thing in front of it all in a straight line.

It was a tricky fence being the first real question on the course but everyone managed it apart from Andrew Nicholson on Armada (obviously a very experienced combination).

I had watched Andrew tackle an easier, softer version in the Advanced and 3* all morning with no problems and we all know he rides beautifully.

Armada jumped 7a,b&c fine was locked on to fence 8. He actually went to take off when someone stood behind the fence took a photo with a flash. Bearing in mind it has been a fairly damp and dismal day the flash stood out. Armada put back down, shot sideways with no warning and Andrew went sailing over the fence. Now I think, as do my fellow fence judges and a couple of people stood nearby that he was completely distracted by the last minute flash. Obviously Andrew was not happy as Armada went dashing up and down the track before jumping the string and dispearing but I am not sure he realised what had happened.

We went and spoke to the person who had taken the photo and there were wearing an officals badge!!!! They then tried the claim that their flash was turned off!!! Eventually they said it was normally off and they had turned it off now but they were lucky it wasn't a serious accident. Luckily Andrew jumped straight back up and appeared to be fine. He did compete on another horse afterwards as well.

But even after all that people were continuing to use their flashes.

Anyway just a warning that something you think is fairly trivial can lead to a potentially serious accident.

WeeBrown

Visit site
No excuses for them - they were reminded hundreds of times and to be honest OH got fab photos all day without the need of a flash. I too got photos without putting my flash on...the crapness of my photos was not due to the lack of light :) People just don't listen, it pisses me off that they cross over the track despite plenty of crossing points!

NeilM

Visit site
What makes this kind of thing worse is that the flash is completely ineffective at distances more than a few feet.

Most people just leave their cameras on Auto setting and probably wouldn't know how to turn the flash off if you asked them.

MissTyc

Visit site
Thank god Andrew is Ok - silly people.
When I was very young my grandmother used to tell me that flash photography could make a hole in a horse's head. I believed this until I was about 12!