FLAT BATTERY .. damn tacho

MDJO

Visit site
Just been to start up the new wagon which has been stood idle for 3 weeks - had switched off the isolator switch but the tacho had been ticking along ...hence a completely flat battery. I had thought that the isolator switch turned off the tacho...doh! Anyway, how can i prevent this happening again? I turned the tacho to 'sleep' but it still kept ticking so I've taken out the fuse (that stopped it ;-))
Also, what sort of price am I looking at for getting someone out to start it?
Many Thanks

tigers_eye

Visit site
If the vehicle is only used by you (privately) keep the fuse out as long as it doesn't control anything else... To start it again do try jump leads, (don't start the lorry straighht away, let it sit there for a couple of minutes with the car engine running). Don't know about if that doesn't work, I've always had useful mechanic friends lurking about...

spooks

Visit site
mine was dead as a dodo the other day so jumped it off the car. i connected mine up ,got someone to rev the car and after a few seconds started the lorry. worth a try before you shell out to get someone to come and start it

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I agree...take fuse out when not using.

Is it 12V (one battery) or 24v (two batteries)?

If 12V just put battery charger on as normal. If 24V take connector between batteries off, and charge each one individually.

I sympathise am having all kind of ifficultis with the electrics on my truck at the mo
frown.gif

MDJO

Visit site
Hi - thanks everyone - it is 24v (two batteries) - I think one is for the living lights etc and the other for the engine - definately going to take the fuse out - can I jump start a 24v from a car battery or another wagon?
(FinnMcCoul - I'm in the north east and have only been here a while - hence don't know any mechanics as yet)

Sparklet

Visit site
I had real problems with my batter going flat during the winter I went and splurged on a batter charger/booster box. Cost about £100 - since purchase never had to use it though.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi - thanks everyone - it is 24v (two batteries) - I think one is for the living lights etc and the other for the engine - definately going to take the fuse out - can I jump start a 24v from a car battery or another wagon?
(FinnMcCoul - I'm in the north east and have only been here a while - hence don't know any mechanics as yet)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...be careful. Two batteries doesn't necessarily mean 24v ! If you have a leisure battery with isolator you may well just have 12v electrics but with a separate cell for the living lights etc. Either way, you should be able to charge the two 12v batteries independently and then re-connect them to start the lorry
smile.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Have a look at the batteries, if there is a wire connecting the two together, then is 24v and you need to disconnect this wire before charging or it will not charge them properly. Or you can get charger which does 12 and 24 volts (will have a switch that you can change over depending on which one you are charging).

A charger is a good investment!

Unfortunately, am too far away to advise on mechanics or to come and put charger on, sorry!