Flatwork or Jumping

Parkranger

Visit site
The post below has got me thinking - do we tend to fall into two camps? Ie those of us who like jumping and those who prefer dressage etc.

I know that there are those of you who excel at all disciplines but I find that although I don't mind schooling I find it deathly boring and would much rather go for a long hack (with a bit of a gallop) or have a jump (albeit not to big just yet as coming back into riding).....does that show my undisciplined character?
grin.gif

So......which do you prefer all do you prefer all aspects of riding?

x

Rambo

Visit site
I love to jump....bottom line....but I know that I have to put the groundwork in on the flat to achieve what I want to achieve over a fence.

Over the winter I will school 4 or 5 days a week, and probably only jump in one of those sessions
smile.gif

ETS: There is even a deal of pleasure in getting your horse going really well on the flat, although it can get pretty demoralising when they don't too lol!

UKa

community.webshots.com
oops, I am not particularly good at either although I like having a go at both ...I do like to get a horse working really nicely during flatwork but I also enjoy jumping small fences ...but then I hardly ever go to competitions and just do what I feel like every time I ride ...

Parkranger

Visit site
I know what you mean about flatwork - my instructor said no jumping till I sort out wiggly worm pants.....plus he's getting this intermittent lameness so def. no jumping - even out hacking....

SillyMare

Visit site
I definitely prefer jumping to flatwork, but I do prefer schooling to hacking (boring).

My horses enjoy hacking out though and it is good for them so we usually jump about once a week, school a couple of times and hack the rest of the time.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I dont like flatwork put in the sense of dressage, I cant do it, and I dont like being assesed on it. The reason I do a decent amount of flatwork with my horses is because I am a very driven jumper. I strongly believe that showjumping is simply a dressage test with jumps, and that you wont leave the ground if you cant flatwork your horse. I have a horse that loves to jump, I still havnt reached his limits yet, and that thrills me soo much. I will always pick jumping over flatwork, but I do believe that flatwork is they key to jumping..

SillyMare

Visit site
Oh yes, galloping is good, but we don't do that very often. I don't really think of going for a good steam around as hacking.

The boring kind of hacking is the endless long and slow stuff to keep them fit.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
The hacking around me is rubbish (a short ride through a village on slippy roads or a long hack to a muddy track to go for a canter on) I mostly stick to doing flatwork in the school and jump the big chestnut occasionally (deapite the fact that hacking is the only thing I'm actually good at
tongue.gif
)

ecrozier

Visit site
I do prefer to jump but have always been taught that the rider's job when jumping is to get the horse to the jump correctly and let them get on with the actual jumping bit....so try to do at least 3 flatwork sessions to each jumping... Having no school/lights and just a muddy field makes life tricky though, so do a lot of hacking and try to school whilst out. Have to admit it has done wonders for his trot...if they'll trot through the woods in a consistant and steady outline and rhythm then I reckon they are much more likely to do it in a dressage test!!
Makes hacking more interesting too. I'm lucky tho, hacking around us is fantastic.

teapot

Visit site
Have always enjoyed flatwork and schooling. It's very satisfying when it goes well but pants if it doesn't and I'm the sort of person that beats themselves up about it afterwards

I enjoy jumping but only on the horses that I know very well and will do anything on. But I only tend to jump with 2 of the instructors as tend to have to put my faith in them.

I never jumped Baron all the time I had the ride on him as he was so green on the flat that jumping was just out of the question

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Im quite passionate about dressage. I do still jump, albeit purely because its good for my horse and even then the fences are small enough to be an insult to the word "jumping"
tongue.gif

I love the technical aspect of dressage and how amazing it can be to both look and ride when it really comes together right. I could spend hours riding on the flat as I tend to lose track of time - i always have to keep a very careful eye on my watch to make sure im not over doing it
tongue.gif

Oaksflight

Visit site
Love jumping, but trying to get his flatwork right before we start on his jumping. Hoping hunting and a LOT of gridwork over the winter will help so we can do some proper competitions next year.

Haflinger

Visit site
Jumping is my love to put it simply. But I do a lot of flatwork, because I believe that flatwork is the key to jumping. How else are you going to get that balanced jumping canter and have an allround balanced jumping horse?

Salcey

Visit site
I've always loved jumping and still do, although am enjoying flatwork a lot more now than when I was a kid......god it must be age!!!!! I get a lot of satisfaction out of it now than I used too.

Visit site
well, I went through a patch of loving flatwork and schooling because I had lost my confidence with jumping but now I am slowly regaining it I much prefer to jump and although flatwork is ok it isn't my favourite. I would much prefer a good hack with a nice gallop and a few ditches and logs to pop over if I was choosing. x

pottamus

Visit site
Both my horse and I find dlatwork in a school incredably boring...he just switches off. I don't have access to a school either so tend to keep on top of things whilst out hacking...it is amazing what you can do whilst out hacking to improve your flatwork generally.
I hate jumping and have a real fear of it so don't do that either!!! Perhaps if I had the chance to ride a real school master that would take me over the jumps no matter what...then I might learn...
So we stick to what we know...hacking and endurance...

ilvpippa

Visit site
i love love jumping hacking and generally have a good gallop across fields etc but i always believe they way to jumping a perfect round is also schooling. Which i dint really like very much but when a horse goes well its such a great feeling but i would chose jumping over everything but i also do ode so i do all

Marbs

community.webshots.com
I never really find flatwork boring! Demoralising sometimes though definately. But all the same I love schooling on the flat! Also love to jump too and admittedly normally that's a lot more really love jumping too...marginally more than flat I think!

KateStartin

Visit site
I love both! flatwork on a well schooled powerful horse is a feeling like nothing else, but then so is that flying feeling on a good jumping horse! I also love hacking out! Jumping improves flatwork, flatwork improves jumping. Bottom line is a well schooled horse is a pleasure to ride full stop, now if i could just get my horse to understand that......

Evadiva1514

Visit site
I enjoy jumping but i much prefer flatwork and schooling... i do think though, it is very dependant on which horse you are riding at the time!!

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Hehe!! You know what I'm into at the mo! But I think it's all the years of bombing around and jump jump jumping when I was young......want to learn as much as possible about classical riding now.

Saying that....in Jan I will be starting Fin back on SJ a bit.

x

helenandshadow

Visit site
jumping is my passion but i think flatwork is the foundation to good jumping. i hardly ever jump at home, i mainly do flatwork and hacking. i find flatwork very rewarding when the horse is going well, but demoralising when it isn't!!!!
wink.gif