Flax bedding- Yay or Nay????

Tori...

• Total voters

MillionDollar

Visit site
I was thinking of using flax bedding for my livery yard, as it has many benefits (easy to store, bio degradeable, free muck removal), but wondered how you would feel if you were on a livery yard with flax??

Fiona

Visit site
I like it. It is more absorbent and less dusty than shavings, but we get our shavings at such a good price, I can't see us ever changing.
If I were on a livery yard, I would be pleased, as it is easy to muck out, and the bed forms a nice solid base.

Fiona

miller

Visit site
I hate it with a passion! Mucked out a friends horse who was on box rest and it was disgusting - would probably like it with a full muck out every day but I hate deep litter too

Rambo

Visit site
Sticks to everything and is a complete pain in the a$$
blush.gif

Petrie

Visit site
Yes, I hated it too. A friend has it and semi-deep litters which is what you're supposed to do with it, I think. She would take out most of the wet once a week, and in between skip out.

Sounds great, but it stank to high heaven! Also, in my opinion, I don't think it's good for the horse's feet or breathing to be bedded on festering wet stuff, even if it is right underneath.

And it did not work at all well for a messy horse who churns it's bed up as he used to dig up all the wet stuff and mulch it around.

Yuck, 'orrible stuff.

I've just started using a shavings and chopped straw mix bedding with a eucolyptus smell/de-appetiser (called Excel I think) and I really like it. I muck out every day though, not sure what it would be like otherwise. It's not sticky, makes a nice dry, warm bed, and soaks up the wet well,and smells nice. Also eucolyptus supposed to be good for their feet and breathing.

KatB

Visit site
I love the bedding your on now, but cant find anyone that delivers it? DId you get yours local to yours, or find a company that will deliver???