Fleetwater Opposition

Tempi

Visit site
i know a lot of people on here like horses by him, but whats their trainability like? temperment? good for dressage? willingness? handling?

found a 3yo on horsequest that i REALLY REALLY like. If anyone wants to take a look its on www.horsequest.co.uk - dressage horses tab (on left side) - youngstock tab (along the bottom) - and about a 3rd of the way down titled 'beautiful trakhener gelding'. In my price range and my size too..........views if anyone wants to look will be appreciated!

spottysport

Visit site
Hi
I bred a foal by him (out of an appaloosa mare) and I couldn't be more delighted! His temperament is excellent,and he was lightly shown this year (won lots!) and everyone commented how fab he behaved. He is also very athletic. I think the one you're looking at is a big bargain. Good Luck!

_jetset_

Visit site
Already seen it and tried to talk my Dad into buying him (if it's the unbroken one I am thinking about)

I really would have liked to have use him this year but the cost was just too much for me at the time compared to Pro-Set's stud fee. I think he was a fantastic horse and a lot of his babies that I have seen follow in their Dad's footsteps!

airedale

Visit site
My friend used to stand Fleetwater Olympus and now stands a Sports Horse graded son of his Olympus Cherokee Chief (see http://www.theolympusstud.co.uk/)

Olympus also has another son standing at stud called Hale Bop.

I know that Olympus was a full brother to Opposition and I've seen C.Chief and he has a wonderful temprament and also his progeny seem to.

My mare went to the SPSS grading at Stafford last year (and passed !! - she's the one I have for loan) and c. Chief was there for his stallion grading - only 50% of the stallions (15) presented actually graded. He took everything in his stride after a very long journey from Wales.

I also have seen him do dressage locally and he was impeccably behaved both in the ring and whilst waiting.

Now C. Chief is a 'nephew' of Opposition and also a working stallion. So I reckon if he behaves well and is trainable then I'd go for the horse you are looking at.

Tempi

Visit site
Fleetwater is standing 10mins down the road from me and is owned by Johnny Johnston who is very very good friends with my YO, which is handy!!

Unfortunately i totaly dont have the money for this gelding atm - i just hope i manage to find something this good nxt year when i do have the cash!!

We are actually waiting for a lump sum from the tyre company that screwed us over - but not sure how much of it mum is giving me!! il have to work on her!

airedale

Visit site
Well my friend has Olympus stock for sale - and as she's in darkest deepest rural Wales you need a compass to find her. Expect they'll still be around even if this one isn't. You could always look there next year.

MistletoeMegan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Fleetwater is standing 10mins down the road from me and is owned by Johnny Johnston who is very very good friends with my YO, which is handy!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Gosh, how does he manage to stand at stud when he died over a year ago?

severnmiles

Visit site
Fleetwater Opp's stock usually have really lovely movement, big jumps and lots of prescence coupled with a lovely temp. Usually gifted with good limbs too.

Fleetwater Olympus was lovely but I'm afraid I am certainly no fan of Cherokee Chief!!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well my friend has Olympus stock for sale - and as she's in darkest deepest rural Wales you need a compass to find her. Expect they'll still be around even if this one isn't. You could always look there next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheeky we're not that far away...ok, ok we're closer to Ireland than we probably are to the borders!! lol. She's only down the road from us. Had a lovely colt there by Olly about 2years ago (I think it was 3 or 4 then).

Rambo

Visit site
Don't know about the breeding side of this one, and I'm no dressage expert, but at that price, you won't lose
blush.gif
Buy him and see how he turns out
wink.gif
It's peanuts at the end of the day...

airedale

Visit site
Yep - nice part of the country (even if it rains a lot <grin>). When I went to see her it started raining the minute I drove over the Severn bridge ...........

Geoffrey is lovely - mind you I wouldn't want her job of trying to keep him white !!!

He and his progeny do dressage at Starlight and do very well and Hale Bop is going great guns a.t.m

Considering like a lot of horse people there is little time for training and it's quite often a 'haul out of the field, get clean and go in the ring' :)) he's a very well behaved and talented stallion.

severnmiles

Visit site
Haha typical! The sun is shining now! Its quite hot actually. It does rain alot though which is good as it keeps the grass green!

Very well behaved yes but not the latter in my view - totally my opinion.

I wouldn't want the job of keeping him clean either!
smirk.gif

airedale

Visit site
yes - it's shining here now :))

He used to event very well but had an accident and can't jump anymore (and he's getting on a bit) so pure dressage isn't his first career.

We could have done with some of your grass this summer - we've still got a drought order in place (mind you I'm cheering about that - 'cos it means the PClub can't fill up their water jump and I've got a horse in the yard that will jump everything clear but won't do the water - so I don't want it to rain for the next week so even if they put the 'water' on the XC course it won't have anything in it !!!! - he could go out and win the class then as he's a great allrounder but water - not in his lifetime - and as he's 17 now and blind in one eye he's not going to change )

So no rain for the next week -you can keep it in Wales!!!!

ElleJS

Visit site
It also helps if the mare is good!? The dad only accounts for half, and most breeders say in the end its 60% the mare. So find out more about the dam.

F Opp is good, but not all of them will be superstars- there are alot of them around, on the BE database there are hundreds by him yet only a few are in the spotlight.... (same with any sire tho) the one u like seems a very good buy tho. very saleable.

watched a few event and trainer has one at 3star level. yes they can be sharp, Pippa F was a bit tricky in the SJ at Hartpury but is talented. Am very interested about using him on one of my mares. Go for it if u can!

Bossanova

Visit site
Cant speak highly enough of them (Moon is a FO!!) had countless numbers of them over the years and all have been very trainable but with that slight edge which makes them good and have all been good to work with.
They are certainly more eventers than dressage horses though- eg Gubby's mare who doesnt have amazing movement and most dont.
Also be cautious with their feet- almost all have one front foot smaller than the other and several we have known (particularly out of his later stock) have developed navicular. This could be pure coincidence of course, but it's worth considering.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

We are actually waiting for a lump sum from the tyre company that screwed us over - but not sure how much of it mum is giving me!! il have to work on her!

[/ QUOTE ]

PG was this to do with the random insurance letter you received about your lorry? I lost track of the outcome

KatB

Visit site
Yep agree Boss, they are lovely and tend to have a nice temperametn (have known one exception to this!!) but they do sometimes have strange feet, and alot are slightly "wonky" in the front limb. generally slightly pigeon, so worth paying special attention to legs and feet!
smile.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Don't want to take anything away from what the FO stock has achieved.. but just thought i'd add a slightly different opinion.. several years ago, i rode alot of FO horses, wouldn't call them my type, ok everyone gets on with different sorts, but i found them a little slow in the brain dept.
Again, everyones differnt, and i'd say i was in the minority for not being so keen on them!!

Bossanova

Visit site
They def arent everyone's rides- they dont get on with everyone for one reason or another.
They tend to be cocky but sensitive, a rather intriguing mixture!!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They def arent everyone's rides- they dont get on with everyone for one reason or another.
They tend to be cocky but sensitive, a rather intriguing mixture!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just trakehners for you!

dizzydolly

Visit site
I used to ride Lotts when she was a 4-5yr old, when Gubs was boarding, was really backward, and very late developer, as all of them are i think (the ones i have come across). All tyke's babies have that certain 'streak', they wont be pushed too far if they dont want to, you cant get on thinking you know it all with them and expect to 'tell' them what to do! I also used to help John out, rode Lordy (lordships opposition) and all the eventers up there, got on a few babies too. They are all nice in the stable (apart from Tyke and Lordy-ironically as they are the commercial stallions
grin.gif
) but i have found a lot of them rear, not learnt, just bred in.

Depends if you like that sort of horse, personally i wouldnt have one by Tyke, but they are all successful in their eventing

dizzydolly

Visit site
Lotts used to rear,only once or twice when very young,so she's not bad. Think i rode Lolly, not sure, would she only have been broken in in 2005? There was a black mare i used to ride that just stood on its back legs the whole time out hacking when it didnt want to do something, nearly gave some bloke a heart attack one day cos she did it on the road and slipped over, nearly landed on his car, gave me a shock too!

Also, Sparkly or somebody?used to have a horrible rear, he wouldnt jump into some water with me, just stood and reared and reared, then started leaping into bucks aswell, so izzy got on him, he promptly reared right up again, she fell off and he buggered off across the forest, she got back on her original horse (was flint curtis actually, he was lovely!) to chase after him, and left me to walk back across the forest, looking like i was the one that had fallen off! A few weeks later, he reared a girl off and she broke her leg, he nearly broke his too galloping back across a cattle grid. All fun and games!

couple of babies i was getting going used to rear as well, also Hero (the one Pippa has now) rears right up with no warning, but he is a stallion, so maybe allow for that!
smirk.gif

I do think they are very good at their jobs though, after all, quirky ones are usually the best!
grin.gif
Just a flippin pain in the bum sometimes, literally!