Flehmen on Demand?

mcnaughty

Visit site
Hi Guys - do any of you have a suggestion as to how I could encourage my daughter's Welsh A to perform a Flehmen Response on command?

We are doing a performance to music at Equifest next week and I would really like him to "do the deed" on command .....

I was thinking of waving something smelly under his nose but have no idea what might prompt him ;-)

Ta

khalswitz

Visit site
Mine, somehow, does it on command! All I do is either tickle his upper lip, or blow up his nose, and he will 'pull faces'. Not sure how or why... but he does.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
both the Exmoors do it on demand-although they seem to do it far more than other makes of horse anyway! The older one had been taught by someone else for treats-so of course he does it alot on the off chance he'll get a treat (after 6 years you'd think he realise I don't treat but he's ever hopeful where food is concerned). But he'll do it to 'give us a smile'. The younger one will do it if I touch the side of his lip very gently or ask to see his new teeth (he's teething).

fburton

Visit site
Since flehmen is naturally performed in response to urine sniffing (to allow a stallion to assess the reproductive status of a mare), I would suggest that some urine in a sponge or tissue paper (kept in a plastic bag perhaps) might be the most reliable elicitor of the behaviour - as gross as this may be!