Flehmen

Mule

Visit site
I probably catch all of mine doing it once a week or so, depending on what they're up to. i can trigger it on a couple by scratching their muzzles. Here's today's offering! Had been rummaging at the bottom of the fence and there has probably been some wildlife lurking around there.

152361830_4071184409559705_4926018418782613544_o.jpg
Salty looks like a vampire ?

Last edited:

JJS

Visit site
It’s very rare for Mary or Six to do it, but Flower does it most days. The girls each get a handful of grass nuts or a carrot as a daily treat, and it’s always when she’s finished the last of her nuts. I think we laughed and made a big fuss about how funny she was the first time she did it, so now it’s become a bit of a party trick ?

It’s also possible she picked up it from Tudor. He used to do it a lot, so it could be a kind of copycat behaviour!

syw29Tkl.jpg

Rosie'smum

Visit site
Mine does it with any new treats. We clicker trained it on command. It her party trick but dont do it very often with her.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Arts does it a lot, I catch her doing it about once a week always in response to smelling something, and you can easily trigger it either with aromatherapy oil or by tickling her lip. She is pretty lip-expressive in general though.

Dabs hardly ever does it, he pulls lots of strange faces though and occasionally the lip curl gets chucked in, plus he will do it when Arty is in season. You can usually trigger it with aromatherapy oil as well.

Pebbles never does it.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
There used to be a horse where I ride whose Flehman response could be easily and consistently provoked by scratching him under the chin, and I've seen others give that response to smells (a stallion stabled temporarily for a few nights), scratches or being brushed.

There's a mare there now who will crane her neck out and gurn when any other horse walks past her box. She has rope across the doorway to her box, because she used to grab the top edge with her mouth to crib.

AandK

Visit site
Very rarely see mine do it. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw Andy do it. Charlie has done it recently, in response to a strange smell, which is the only reason I have seen them do it.