Flesh eating bug (sorry rather long)

miss_bird

Visit site
OK to cut a long story short my yearling got pneumonia last monday and somehow managed to get 2 traumas to his back and spine.
As he had trouble getting up was (dead down the near side but that is nearly better now) while he was stuck down over night he was shuffling himself around the stable so ended up with major bald sores, the last week they have nearly dried up and i have been putting manuka honey on morning and night with a stable rug over the top to stop him rubbing them on the floor.
Anyway today i left his rug off to get air to the wounds, and this evening i checked him over again and one of the wounds has a hole in it about the size of a pound coin going 2cm in and then upwards under his skin.
Vet is coming out morrow but does anyone have any idea what this could be as it looks like something has just started eating into his flesh.
I am so worry what i will find in the morning and have only just got home and have no idea what to look up in the vet books or the internet.
Sorry so long but dont know what to do bar worry

I love my Spanish horse

Visit site
I was going to say that aswell, do horses get that? If they do, and it is it can be pretty serious and usually needs surgery,, thats nearly always the case in people. Dont get yourself worked up just yet though, even if horses can get it, its so rare that its very unlikely to be that.

benbo

New User
Visit site
It could be a pressure sore caused from the pressure of being on the floor and the friction from movin. A pressure sore is first visible on the surface but dammage is done underneath. It could also be an abcess that has tracked its way out.
Let us know what your vet says.

yeeharider

Visit site
hope its just pressure damage the underlying tissue is affected and not always visible initally but the damage is done and cavities are created which are then obvious when the surface breaks down

miss_bird

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies, the vet is due at 2pm.
I have just got back from him now and all the skin around the hole very large patch is now all dead and rotting.
I will post what the vet says as soon as i can