Flexible filly muzzle fitting?

chaps89

Visit site
Can anyone who has used one of these help me out on the fitting please?
I fitted as per instructions with the side flaps slightly looser and a finger or two space under his nose.
But there’s massive gaps and he’ll just eat out of the edges?
It says if that’s the case it might be too big but if I do it up tighter there won’t be a gap under his lips. I did try that anyway though and it didn’t help.

Could it just not suit him or have I done something wrong?
Poor boy has a sore nose this year from the muzzle, hasn’t in previous years so thought I’d treat him to a nice one but no good if he’ll just eat out of the gaps!
Im aware the headcollar is a bit big, so would source a different one if I kept the muzzle but I don’t think it would make a massive difference to the muzzle fit would it?

0D99BD19-7D78-471F-97AB-B3B476939383.jpg

3BB83FF6-310A-44AF-94EF-529AC6AF1FB8.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you fit the headcollar noseband lower and shorten the sides of the muzzle you should solve that problem ?

chaps89

Visit site
If you fit the headcollar noseband lower and shorten the sides of the muzzle you should solve that problem ?
I’ve added photos now - if anything the headcollar is a bit big so the noseband is lower than ideal anyway.
Surely if I shorten the sides of the muzzle that just brings it up and closer/too close to his lips?
*feels really thick*

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I strategically place the plastic bits and then stabilise the gap with a cable tie or two joining the plastic bits as otherwise mine eats out the side and gaps ?

Edited: re worded to make it clearer.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Seen the photo. I think the muzzle's too big! Ouch £££

Sorry!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I can’t get mine quite 100% correct. However it still restricts what they can get, they are still happy wearing them and last summer was my first ever without footy ponies

chaps89

Visit site
Seen the photo. I think the muzzle's too big! Ouch £££

Sorry!
I’ve anti-bacced it and wiped it down and it’s like new so I’m hoping I’ll be able to return for a refund ?
I love him dearly but he is a funny size/shape - 12.2hh and about as wide with the hugest head - he takes a 5 1/2” bit ? so generally pony size doesn’t fit but maybe I need to try it in this instance

edit - it’s on the loosest holes though?! If it were smaller it might not do up onto the headcollar :-/ so confused!

chaps89

Visit site
I can’t get mine quite 100% correct. However it still restricts what they can get, they are still happy wearing them and last summer was my first ever without footy ponies
Unfortunately this fatty needs all the restricting he can get :( despite minimal food over winter, he did drop some weight but not enough for the time of year.
I try to get the right balance because he’s retired and it’s about quality of life not quantity but he is verging on obese so I still need to be a bit careful.
I’ve started putting my track up today, I’m hoping the extra movement is going to help ?

chaps89

Visit site
I strategically place the plastic bits and then stabilise the gap with a cable tie or two joining the plastic bits as otherwise mine eats out the side and gaps ?

Edited: re worded to make it clearer.
That makes sense. Bit frustrating for a £££ muzzle but might be worth a try

SO1

Visit site
If they dont refund you what size is it as I want to buy one.

I’ve anti-bacced it and wiped it down and it’s like new so I’m hoping I’ll be able to return for a refund ?
I love him dearly but he is a funny size/shape - 12.2hh and about as wide with the hugest head - he takes a 5 1/2” bit ? so generally pony size doesn’t fit but maybe I need to try it in this instance

edit - it’s on the loosest holes though?! If it were smaller it might not do up onto the headcollar :-/ so confused!

Melandmary

Visit site
I tried these muzzles last year and had the same problem with my horse eating out of the side. I sent pics to the company and they reccomended i interlace a shoe string through the holes at the bottom to narrow it. It did help but i had a recovering laminitic so it really didn't restrict her enough because she just pushed it to the side. They were great and gave me a refund. I do question the safety of the shoestring if it got caught on something because the whole point of the tiewraps was they are breakable ?

daydreamer

Visit site
I tried these muzzles last year and had the same problem with my horse eating out of the side. I sent pics to the company and they recommended i interlace a shoe string through the holes at the bottom to narrow it.

I ended up doing something similar (I think after reading the above on this forum). I used a leather shoelace to sort of lace up the side. It did stop him eating out of the sides and he wore the muzzle all summer until he learnt to step on it and break all the cable ties at once by flinging his head up :rolleyes:IMG_4032.JPG

Highmileagecob

Visit site
I have used an American Tough 1 Easy Breathe for around five years. Really well tolerated, and their largest size fits my chunky cob. He won't be wearing one any more due to his teeth starting to wear down. There is a copy/different company who produce a similar muzzle, but it is like a nosebag and comes too far up the face for my liking.