Flexible Stirrups..

wodger_woo

Visit site
Ok
Due to the loss of a stirrup and leather on the Chase last night I'm currently looking for alternatives.
I think I'm going to stick with Stubben for the stirrup leathers as mine were lasting really well.
However I'm looking at the Sprenger flexible ones and I'm very tempted, even if its just for the safety aspect (and given my current penchant for unplanned dismounting this seems v wise LOL
laugh.gif
) Do any of you have these? What do you think of them?
What about the cheaper (much cheaper!! ) alternatives. Derby house appear to stock some at £25 and e.bay has some which are about £15.... any idea what the difference between these and the Sprenger ones are (apart from the £50 obviously
smile.gif
)
I've also seen some John Whittaker ones?
WAH am confused, when did stirrups get so interesting
grin.gif

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
I have Sprenger and Shires copies. Difference in the Sprenger is a 4 way movement i.e. backwards, forwards and sideways as oppose to the backward and forward flexibility of the Shires ones.

I started using them when I suspected I was developing cartilidge problems in my knees about 3 years ago. The pain when riding was getting to be so bad at times I would have to stop in a lesson! Since using the Sprenger and the copies I have been fine, would not be without them now. The Sprenger are nice and feel slightly heavier but they are expensive.

wandaful

New User
Visit site
I've used the Sprenger for about 3 years now and wouldn't be without them. I have very stiff knees and the difference was very marked when I started to use them. I also use Barnes Buckles for additional safety during the unplanned dismounts
grin.gif

Patchwork

Visit site
I have only ridden in the backwards/forwards type (on someone else's horse) and I have to say I hated them as they seemed to put more stress on my ankles and my lower leg position felt less stable.

MillionDollar

Visit site
I have the Shires ones and i wouldn't ride without them! They took the pressure away off my ankles and made keeping my heals down easy. My friend has the sprenger ones and she won't ride without them. If she does she gets very achy. An excellent investment, worth buying!

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have Sprenger and Shires copies. Difference in the Sprenger is a 4 way movement i.e. backwards, forwards and sideways as oppose to the backward and forward flexibility of the Shires ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
And this is why I stick to the Sprengers!
smile.gif

Eldest daughter had a nasty fall in the field, where she was violently thrown off at speed & the Sprengers released her foot instantly - had they not, the consequences on that occasion would not have been worth thinking about!

A sideways fall in the school however, with the cheaper alternatives that only flex two ways, resulted in the stirrup closing around her foot, to the degree that the entire leather/stirrup came over the top of the saddle, trapping her foot completely & leaving her dangling helplessly upside down!
Fortunately, on this occasion, the pony in question slammed the anchors on instantly & never moved a muscle, whilst somebody ran to free her! (Good old Fat Orange One! LOL)

Others may disagree but I am firmly of the opinion that had she been using the cheaper alternatives on the first occasion, serious injury would have been the 'best case scenario', so for me, the choice is a no-brainer really!
smile.gif

sham

Visit site
I've had the Derby House ones, which helped alot for my dodgey knee(ment I could actually ride XC with being a cripple afterwards!) Although I am intending on buying the Sprenger ones.

Nic

Visit site
I have the shires copies, best £25 I've spent. I used to get aching knees when riding & haven't since I started using these.