Flexion Test in 5 stage - How?

burtie

Visit site
Having never had a horse vetted I am curious as to how the flexion test is done. Whenever I have had them done they are done on a specific joint to test for levels of lameness/soundness.
I have seen them done on the fetlock, the knee, the hock and the stifle/hip and the they are all a bit different so that the joint in question is the one flexed.

samp

Visit site
The vet normally flexs the limb upwards and slightly outwards, this should then identify any lameness within the limb

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The vet normally flexs the limb upwards and slightly outwards, this should then identify any lameness within the limb

[/ QUOTE ]

But with the limb or a particular joint? I just don't see what vaguely bending the whole leg and holding up for a while is going to acheive/show? Does he flex it to he total movement of all the joints at once (sounds awful) of just some one them?

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
When Archie had his 5 Stage they were done in his hock and fetlock on his hind leg. However we've since had him xrayed aswell just to be on the safe side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks P_G, did he do the 2 joints as seperate tests and did they also do the front fetlocks and knees?

Being a bit bored and nosy today!!

Tempi

Visit site
I wasnt there so i dont know, but i asked to have them in his hocks and fetlocks behind, and im assuming they do front fetlocks as 'standard' but im really not sure. However ive always been told that even if they pass a flexion test there can still be problems hence i had the xrays too.......

RobinHood

Visit site
When I had bailey vetted he flexed his knees and front fetlocks at the same time, and then the hock and hind fetlocks at the same time. If a problem showed up I suppose they might then redo each joint individually but the purpose of the flexions in vetting isn't to diagnose lameness it's just to check for overall soundness.