Flick has had a stroke ☹️☹️☹️☹️

{97702}

Visit site
My poor little tiny white greyhound.... we had a lovely day yesterday going on a dog walk with the rescue charity, it was all very slow and we didn’t walk far so it was just Flick’s sort of thing. This morning she didn’t want to come for a walk, I didn’t think much about it as I knew she’d be tired after yesterday. She slept on my bed in the sunshine all morning!

Then at lunchtime I was sitting in the garden and she came out to have a wee, I knew immediately that there was something very wrong. She was very wobbly and uncoordinated, and was dragging her right hind as well as moving oddly with her right foreleg. I phoned the vets and was there within 15 minutes

The vet was lovely - very gentle and understanding with Flick, and coped admirably with me crying 🙄 - he ran blood tests which showed absolutely nothing. Mind you I don’t think I’ve EVER had blood tests on a greyhound that showed anything lol! He explained that the only real way of finding out what had happened was an MRI scan at £2.5k, but he was also totally understanding that this wasn’t something I would want to do for a 12 year old dog. He did say it was very likely to be a stroke from the symptoms she was showing.

So she has come home for 24 hours to see whether she improves - she is quite bright in herself, she was wandering around the consulting room while we waited for the blood test results and she ate the snacks the vet offered her. She is still dragging the right hind quite a lot though and unless that improves I don’t think she will have sufficient quality of life. Please keep everything crossed for my funny little girl ❤️❤️❤️

{97702}

Visit site
Well I have just picked up the dog bowls to feed them all, and Flick came rushing out of the house! She only ate a little, but anything is good 😊 she also had a wee and a poo, she is being the hind leg forward slightly better now. I hardly dare hope!

{97702}

Visit site
I only know about humans, but it is amazing how well they can recover from strokes. My grandad had numerous mild ones that would dibilitate him for 24 hours before he could manage to walk to the pub 😂

Paws crossed for her

Thank you very much - I have no experience at all, so any info is very gratefully received 😊 a friend has just said on FB that one of her springers had a few strokes before she lost him, and you really wouldn’t have known if you didn’t know him.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
My old dog had a stroke, she couldn't walk at all, I raced back from N. Scotland with work, and in the time that took she'd been at the vets, medication started with a "see how she goes...but..." I was distraught, but she recovered remarkably well. Hope Flick continues to improve, they can be so resilient.

{97702}

Visit site
Perhaps it is a bit of arthritis as she did overdo it a little? Hope she continues to improve

Thank you 😊 definitely not just arthritis unfortunately, she is incredibly wobbly all down her right side and is still ‘knuckle down’ on her right hind paw at least 75% of the time at the minute.

bonny

Visit site
When this happened to my old dog I took her to the vets to be put down after assuming she had a stroke only to be told that strokes in dogs are incredibly rare/don’t happen but that vestibular syndrome is common in old dogs and to us look very much like you would imagine a stroke. Are you sure about the diagnosis?

{97702}

Visit site
When this happened to my old dog I took her to the vets to be put down after assuming she had a stroke only to be told that strokes in dogs are incredibly rare/don’t happen but that vestibular syndrome is common in old dogs and to us look very much like you would imagine a stroke. Are you sure about the diagnosis?

The vets view was that only an MRI scan would be conclusive, so he couldn’t be 100% sure. From a quick google search I’d say that her symptoms aren’t the same as vestibular syndrome as she has no head tilt, no eye movements and isn’t moving inwards/in a circular movement?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I had a yellow Lab bitch who had a stroke while I was out, rushed her straight down to the vet when I got back. He diagnosed something 'similar to a stroke, dogs can't have strokes', he said. He gave her medication but I can't remember what, sorry. Anyway she made a good recovery over about 2 weeks and lived for another 2 years until we decided that her arthritis was too bad for a good qol.
fingers crossed for Flick.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I had an elderly JRT suffer a stroke and rushed him to the vet expecting to have him PTS.....his back end wasn't looking good either. Took him home on vets advice to see how he went as like you I was very reluctant to spend huge sums just to be told what we all knew, the dog was old, he was near the end of his life and best to just make him comfortable as possible - knowing exactly what it was going on would not have changed that.

Over the next few days his movement improved hugely. We still had him a year later but then sadly dementia had really set in eventually and we had to let him got.

Dont give up hope you could have some good times ahead to share with her still :)

{97702}

Visit site
hope she continues to improve, i feared the worst when i read the heading, my fingers are crossed as well

I honestly thought I wouldn’t be bringing her home today...while we were sitting waiting for the blood test results I even texted my lovely dog sitter to tell her that! I can’t settle to doing anything this evening, but Flick is now asleep on her duvet on the sofa looking quite happy 😊

{97702}

Visit site
I had a yellow Lab bitch who had a stroke while I was out, rushed her straight down to the vet when I got back. He diagnosed something 'similar to a stroke, dogs can't have strokes', he said. He gave her medication but I can't remember what, sorry. Anyway she made a good recovery over about 2 weeks and lived for another 2 years until we decided that her arthritis was too bad for a good qol.
fingers crossed for Flick.

Thank you PAS 😊😊

{97702}

Visit site
We all had the tearful and 'brave' farewell as we wrapped Humphrey up and took him out to the car - 4 adults sniveling and distraught as we all sadly took our leave of him......bloody little terrorist was back ruling the roost again by nightfall lol!

That just made me laugh out loud 😂 I cried a lot at the vets (poor bloke!) and I was so sure this was it....

Mind you I did then have an argument with Flick when we got home, she absolutely hates being touched unless it’s on her terms (even after 10 years with me!) and I refused to let her jump out of the back of the car when we arrived home. Cue me chasing Flick around the back of the car to catch her and lift her out, and Flick glaring at me as if I was trying to kill her at the very least.... 🙄