Flick has had a stroke ☹️☹️☹️☹️

{97702}

Visit site
Hope she gets better.
Is there any news?

Oh dear, I really cannot concentrate on anything tonight so I am flapping about like a moth when there is a bright light!

Flick has eaten some more of her tea, then 1/2 kilo of freshly cooked chicken.... I'm taking that as a good sign :) She is asleep at the moment, still breathing quite fast but very relaxed. She has got up a couple of times to go out into the garden or have a drink, and I noticed at 8pm that she is definitely correcting her hind foot now :) Before she was dragging the foot so it was the 'wrong way up' but now she mostly puts it down correctly and if it is the wrong way up she recognises that and corrects it :) :) :)

I'm hopefully having tomorrow off work as well so I can keep an eye on her. I am a bit of a fatalist usually (better a week too soon than a day too late) but she is so happy in herself that I'm quite content to keep monitoring her and see how she does. My little quirky girl is so sweet, she deserves every chance in the world as long as she is happy and has quality of life

missmatch

Visit site
I had the most wonderful cat who had four strokes. He was a rescue and had some problems Every single time I would race to the vet and expect it to be the end and every single time my vet would say … nope not his time yet. Let him rest see how he is in 48 hrs. And whilst he was always a little wonky and unsteady whilst getting up, he always recovered sufficiently to continue his lovely spoilt life. The last stroke though was very different and the vet and I knew it was time to say sweet dreams.
Your dog sounds like he’s doing really well and I hope he bounces back as fantastically as Malley did. Malley was app 17 years old when he left for pastures new. He had a good 4+ years after his initial stroke. Good luck and huge hugs for you both.

{97702}

Visit site
I just had to help her outside for a wee - not really surprising as she had been asleep in the same place for a couple of hours, but it is heart breaking :( She cannot keep her balance initially, and I have to keep the other dogs away - I realise this is 'natural' but it is awful to see. Of course she will sleep on my bed overnight, so I'll see how she is in the morning - work can do without me, some things are FAR more important!

deb_l222

Visit site
She will surprise you. This time next week you will wonder what you were worried about :)

Button had a MASSIVE vestibular event a few weeks ago. By far the worst I’ve ever experienced. She had already had a few events previously so I reckoned this was it. Went straight through to the vets, he said he’d seen worse and he didn’t go ‘hmmmm’ at me, which is a positive.

Four days she barely ate or moved and I kept wondering if I was doing the right thing. Fast forward to today and she’s as right as a bobbin. Big head tilt and a bit wobbly sometimes but walking, eating and back enjoying life.

Go with the flow and Flick will boing back. Vivitonin is our vascular drug of choice if your vet recommends it

windand rain

Visit site
Hoping you get a full recovery in my limited experience every dog I have seen or met that has had a stroke has been perfectly fine a few days later. I do hope the same is true for yours. The vet even went as far as to say strokes in dogs are far less debilitating than in humans and all he had known had recovered too.

{97702}

Visit site
Massive thank you Deb, I need as many positive stories as possible at the moment! Vet didn't recommend any drugs for her at the moment, as her blood tests were clear and her heart murmur is only a grade 1 or 2.

I feel so bloody helpless, it breaks my heart - thank goodness I never had children, I bet that would be even worse!

{97702}

Visit site
Are her eyes flickering? Did they give you any medication?

definitely no flickering eyes and no, he didn't recommend any medication - vet seemed quite sure it was a stroke rather than vestibular syndrome, and having googled she isn't showing the usual signs of vestibular

CrazyMare

Visit site
Glad to see you've found the group. It was me that gave you the name to search. If I see her walking them I'll tell her you've posted xx

Moobli

Visit site
Oh no, how worrying Lev ☹️ I will keep dear little Flick in my thoughts tonight and hope she’s much improved by tomorrow x

{97702}

Visit site
Well I’m amazed and so happy - I had a very interrupted night as I had to lift Flick off my bed and make sure she got out safely to the garden about 4 times, but the difference this morning is fantastic 😊😊😊

I lifted her down this morning, balanced her, and she walked and trotted out to the garden!!!!! She is still wobbly so I have to protect her from the other dogs, and she is still dragging her hind leg a little, but she is so much better than yesterday 😊

To think I was going to have her PTS - I’ll ring my vet today to pass on my thanks, he told me to give her 24 hours and see before I made a decision.

Flick is unimpressed that I made her get off the sofa just now so I could see her walk up and down, I wanted to make sure I hadn’t been imagining it 🙄

Hopefully it will be a steady improvement from now on, I am so delighted that I have more time with my little hound 😊

Huge thanks to CrazyMare for giving me the info about Trevor, so great to hear a greyhound success story when he was so much worse than Flick

Shady

Visit site
I’ll give her a hug and - as my lovely dog sitter says - she turns herself into a wooden board with resentment and gives you a distainful look 😂😂😂

Thank you Shady xx
Lol, Is it a female thing? Jess is the same. Totally horrified by all the attention as it might mean her claws need trimming.
Hugs darling, talk to you soon. xx

MuddyTB

Visit site
Only just seen this thread and feared the worst when I opened it.
So glad she has improved so much Lev, take care of yourself and everything crossed for Flick's continued improvement.