Flies making horse bleed

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Went to do last checks on Millie tonight and found blood on the inside of her back leg, on closer inspection it appeared to come from two areas of her stomach. One spot like a 6 inch cut and another lump-like scab. Both swarming with flies, there wasn't much blood, only a few drops. Neither seem to hurt, just very itchy. I washed with disinfectant and put on some diluted deosect. Whats the best way of managing these pesky flies and stop this getting worse; garlic, fly rug, copious amounts of fly spray?

WelshD

Visit site
my pony gets sweet itch and gets bitten by both midges and flies on his tummy and between his back legs, I use a layer of cream to discourage them from landing, I'm finding that physical barriers are more use than repellants. I use all sorts of creams, whatever is to hand at the time, cheap aqueous cream from the supermarket does a decent job but there is one rule and that is pony doesnt go out without his layer of cream. I know sweet itch is a different kettle of fish but the layer of cream does help against flies too

Dry Rot

Visit site
Not recommended for horses and I am not one to incite ohers to break the law but we put 1/2cc of SpotOn for Cattle on forelock and tail at the start of the fly season. But it is your choice and I never said a word.

Regandal

Visit site
Neem oil, if you can stomach the smell. Rancid onions. Be careful to avoid the saddle area though, makes them like slippery eels.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Not recommended for horses and I am not one to incite ohers to break the law but we put 1/2cc of SpotOn for Cattle on forelock and tail at the start of the fly season. But it is your choice and I never said a word.

When mine were in a field that had swampy bits and an underground stream, I put Swish cattle spot on on once a month and it made a noticeable difference :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
That yellow, summer fly cream is great stuff to have to hand. Slather it on the bits/wounds that the flies are attracted to, but wear gloves or you will have yellow hands. It's what the Vet got me to use after my grey lacerated herself badly and was stapled back together. It was everso effective.

Notimetoride

Visit site
My vet recommended this (hush hush) I swear by it tho wouldn't use it on sweet itch / broken skin. Had to tell porkies when buying it over the counter so I used to buy it online instead