Flies this year!

alexomahony

Visit site
Is it because it’s warm and wet? I’ve never known them as bad as they are this year! My poor boy came in tonight with an awful bite or sting on his face ?

is anyone else having extra issues this year?

Attachments

• 86A5C8B2-4EE3-4AC3-96FB-A4498B1AA585.jpeg
    86A5C8B2-4EE3-4AC3-96FB-A4498B1AA585.jpeg
    812.9 KB · Views: 6

Auslander

Visit site
I haven't seen many horseflles this year, which is nice-but we've had a couple of weeks of horrible little biting flies, which really sting when they get you. A couple of the horses have been driven demented by them

Spotherisk

Visit site
Really awful at the moment, I’ve resorted to Deosect for the first time, it has such good reviews. The boys had about ten flies on them a couple of hours later rather than being driven demented with the nasty things.

alexomahony

Visit site
Yes those tiny ones savaged my arm on Sunday! Awful!
I’m not sure what’s got Sky - he doesn’t normally react like this but he does have thin skin. They’ve really got at his sheath too though I think I’ve managed to break the cycle now and heal the scabs.

he’s got a bucas zebra Fly rug coming tomorrow and a long fly fringe!

Myloubylou

Visit site
Doesn’t seem to be that many horse flies out riding but poor mare has several large hot swellings on her side this last week. Have taken to turning out in fly rug, don’t normally bother

hobo

Visit site
Oh bless him alex that looks sore. Mine has been having plenty of reactions to tiny ticks this year and the other day NH was been driven demented by black flies until I creamed and sprayed him which did do a good job for a change.

saddlesore

Visit site
They’re awful again this year. My boy is turned out in a SI rug anyway but I’ve taken to riding in a fly sheet as otherwise I spend all my time swatting cleggs off him. I’ve got 3 cracking bites myself ☹️

meleeka

Visit site
There are seemingly more horse flies in my field. My gelding is not good with them and takes off round the field in a panic. Deosect has only worked for just over a week whereas usually it repels for around two weeks.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Really awful at the moment, I’ve resorted to Deosect for the first time, it has such good reviews. The boys had about ten flies on them a couple of hours later rather than being driven demented with the nasty things.
What do you think of it? Does it seem to help more than regular spray?

alexomahony

Visit site
Glad to report his face has gone right down again this morning - I was half expecting to be greeted by Will Smith in Hitch after the shellfish incident! Gave him some allergy tabs just in case it was still itchy. I believe they are tiny flies doing it as they're only biting were there is no fur (he has a scar on his face where they've got him) and on his sheath. Like many of you've said - i've also not seen many horse flies, but there are plenty mosquitoes about and little midge-like nippers!

For the Hitch ref:
hitch.PNG