Flies

Jessie the Horse

Visit site
Hi all, so my horse has settled into the livery after a long trip over and one thing I noticed was a lot of flies at the paddock. Not just on my Mare but on all the horses. I know this is normal but how to stop them.
Not keen on a fly hood because I've seen flies get stuck on them. What works on these nasty things. Mare seemed to not like the insect spray being rubbed on. Maybe it stings ?

mini_b

Visit site
Flies are so bad this year. Nothing seems to stop them.
A fly mask/fringe is good as it helps prevent eye irritation.

you can get fly traps which hang in trees or are free standing which actually attract and trap them.

Jessie the Horse

Visit site
Flies are so bad this year. Nothing seems to stop them.
A fly mask/fringe is good as it helps prevent eye irritation.

you can get fly traps which hang in trees or are free standing which actually attract and trap them.
Don't the flies get under the masks and then just eat away ? I worry this would happen to her.

smolmaus

Visit site
A lot of horses don't like fly stuff being applied, I think smell has a lot to do with it even if it is rubbed on rather than sprayed. If you make it a nice experience with some little treats (treat when she stands still and accepts it) it makes it easier for everybody!

I've also never seen flies get trapped in a mask, it should fit snugly over their nose and ears so their eyes are enclosed but they have enough space for their eyelashes etc. I like the Shires Flyguard ones.

JumpTheMoon1

Visit site
We all wish flies would buzz off, downside of having horses in the summer.Fly hoods are dangerous so use a fringe instead and the usual useless repellents,thats all you can do and look forwards to winter.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Avon Skin So soft base for flyspray, add repellent oils eg citronella, neem (I have 3/4 litre if anyone wants it!) and eucalyptus etc. I hear rave reviews about Phizer too. Beau's eyes were very gunky without his flymask. I'd love to hear how the troll thinks they're dangerous. Never had issues bar thd boy rubbing it off occasionally.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I must say other than a bit of fly spray we've not bothered with any masks/rugs etc...ours are in during the day and out at night over the summer which seems to make a massive difference. Or perhaps we are lucky and have less flies about?!

asmp

Visit site
I must say other than a bit of fly spray we've not bothered with any masks/rugs etc...ours are in during the day and out at night over the summer which seems to make a massive difference. Or perhaps we are lucky and have less flies about?!
You must be lucky as they’re horrendous around here at the moment! Its the dilemma of fly rug vs over heating under them.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I think because we aren't near any rivers/streams and high on a hill perhaps!! Also they don't go out in the daytime which probably makes it better...!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Flies are so bad here at the moment mine have masks but it's too hot for fly rugs and I find most fly sprays just don't work and one of mine is allergic to a lot of them, the only one I know his ok with is the Barrier H one I use the gel and tend to give them a wipe over when I ride.

Birker2020

Visit site
I'm also one of those, horse won't tolerate fly sheet or fly mask.

Last night I turned him out at 5.15pm and he galloped flat out four times up and down the paddock before i was able to rescue him and bring him in, where I hosed him off again, gave him a nice hay net and let him chill.

An hour later I turned him out when he was calm. I think it was the flies.

I put loads of fly spray on and the flies don't normally bother him but last night it was quite hot by us and I think that didn't help.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have cattle in the next field and the flies are awful between dawn and dusk so I’m putting clean fly masks on every day which have been sprayed with fly repellent and allowed to dry. I have washed their heads to make sure they aren’t greasy and so far it seems to be working. Undercarriages are liberally smeared with cream so the flies can even land on them. In this current round of heat they are coming in during the day just to give them a break from the flies if nothing else.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Flies were a big problem at Équirando this summer, both horse flies and what I call "ordinary flies" that seem to do nothing more than accumulate around the horse's eyes drinking the moisture.

The horse I was riding is quite sensitive to flies and throws his head around and rubs it against his leg at every opportunity.

We sprayed the horses with Naf Off repellent, and on the worst days we put masks on them.

My horse wasn't keen on being sprayed the first day, and the guy driving one of the vehicles did the job, but after that he got used to it little by little.

On the second day I needed help to spray him and by the third day I was able to do it alone.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Flies have been bad around us since it started raining again. I spray him but they still annoy my lad and he gets cross, shaking himself and rubbing his head on his leg. Today though he excelled himself when we were hacking down the lane he put the brakes on and scratched his head with his back hoof ?. Quite disconcerting. I bet the drivers wondered what was going on.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Flies have been bad around us since it started raining again. I spray him but they still annoy my lad and he gets cross, shaking himself and rubbing his head on his leg. Today though he excelled himself when we were hacking down the lane he put the brakes on and scratched his head with his back hoof ?. Quite disconcerting. I bet the drivers wondered what was going on.
If they are just black flies, i find that half and half mix of ACV and dettol to work ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I usually use TriTec spray but everyone is out of stock and I will run out this week.

I also use a fly rug for BH, but Rigs prefers to suffer as a fly rug over heats him.

Wizpop

Visit site
Just a heads up. I once made the mistake of rubbing fly spray on my horse’s head and around his ears. It rained during the night and in the morning his eyes were swollen right up because the spray had washed down into them! I didn’t realise what had happened at first. Vet came out and gave some eye drops and he was fine but potentially quite dangerous with some of the sprays that are around now.

Jessie the Horse

Visit site
Just a heads up. I once made the mistake of rubbing fly spray on my horse’s head and around his ears. It rained during the night and in the morning his eyes were swollen right up because the spray had washed down into them! I didn’t realise what had happened at first. Vet came out and gave some eye drops and he was fine but potentially quite dangerous with some of the sprays that are around now.

Yeah. I bought gel. I always put it under her eyes. Luckily I won't abuse you for your innocence on this mistake but I'm sure others here will.

Bob notacob

Visit site
Excuse me? I posted trying to be helpful. There was no need for that comment,
Chill,I think you have taken this comment the wrong way.I took it as a note to myself not to put the stuff above the eyes. Been around horses 60 years ,always something new to learn.Calm down folk!