Floor Feeding for Yearling

Lina2023

Visit site
Hi everyone!

I know it's best to do floor feeding for youngsters, from a neck positioning and also for safety. Is it better to just leave this loose? Does anyone use a Mart's net floor feeder or similar? I worry about legs getting stuck in Haybars, Haycubes etc.

Ratface

Visit site
Many years ago, I bought a hay bar for a four year old 15.2hh Arabian horse. He managed to get himself stuck in it, due to putting his front feet and legs into it whilst trying to get the last wisps of hay out. I wouldn't buy another for this reason.

Lina2023

Visit site
Many years ago, I bought a hay bar for a four year old 15.2hh Arabian horse. He managed to get himself stuck in it, due to putting his front feet and legs into it whilst trying to get the last wisps of hay out. I wouldn't buy another for this reason.
This is what worries me and I've seen scary footage (albeit only a couple) with the Haycubes too!

Orangina

Visit site
I floor feed all of mine and just leave the hay loose. One of them drags it through his bed a bit but the rest just eat it where it is and don't make a mess. The one that drags it through his bed makes a mess of his bed anyway.
I stopped using hay nets other than for going to shows etc

millitiger

Visit site
Just on the floor for my lot (including youngsters).
I find once you have perfected how much hay to give, so they don't have loads of excess, they don't pull it through their beds much.
I also spread hay all along one wall, rather than bundled up in a corner, which seems to reduce them pawing it too much.

Lina2023

Visit site
Just on the floor for my lot (including youngsters).
I find once you have perfected how much hay to give, so they don't have loads of excess, they don't pull it through their beds much.
I also spread hay all along one wall, rather than bundled up in a corner, which seems to reduce them pawing it too much.
Sounds like a plan! Thanks 😊