Flu and Tet

nutty

New User
Visit site
Sorry, theres a similar post a few below, but my query is slightly different. The initial course of 3 vaccinations which my horse had is incorrect, with the 3rd one being done too soon. However, he has since then had the yearly boosters for 5 years. Looking at rules for BRC, he is not properly covered, and so I am looking at restarting the course. He had his last booster in December. Is it alright to restart now, so soon after his last booster? And from what I understand of the rules, he only need have had the first 2 vaccinations to be able to compete. Will a new vaccination record be started and all his previous ones be ignored?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks!

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
Yes, make sure he has his second at least 10 days before BRC comp.
Mine had to restart as his 3rd one[ before we owned him] was too late and we had two yearly before it was noticed.Damn nuisance and when you go to shows there are horses doing points comp. which don't get checked and some people bring ponies for their children to ride and young horses to get used to shows and they don't get checked, but BRC are so strict and at championships they are even worse

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
How soon was 'too soon'?
It seems such an unusual thing to happen, usually the time flies by and you remember too late when it was due!

You will have to ask the vet I think about re doing it so soon after his booster but I would think they'll either draw a line through the records of jabs done before, or leave a line before the new ones or even start a completely new page; you can always tell them which you'd want them to do, but it would obviously be entered into the same passport as you have now.

kcgibson

Visit site
Yeah im sure there will be no prob with him starting again now. we do it in dogs all the time if we/the owner (if rescue dog) do not know when last vacc. I really dont think it will be a prob and it will have no ill effect on your horse. you are correct in thinking your horse is covered after the first two. Then he will have his third approx 6 months later (there's quite a long time space you've got to get third one done, something like 5-7 months after the second vacc i think). my vets do it at 6 months though. You can keep the same passport but obviously officials can see the vaccinations have been re-started and they should be no problem with that at all. As long as officials can see the new vaccinations in the passport and it is signed by a vet, there should be no prob!!