Flu confirmed in Shropshire--where ?

DD

Visit site
AHT has confirmed 4 horses attending a hunt meet have the flu. Somewhere in Shropshire. Does anyone know where and which hunt? I was led to believe it was Ludlow but not so sure now.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
The wheatland have cancelled the rest of their season as of last weekend, but I quite a few people that go out with both the Wheatland and Ludlow, so fingers crossed that it hasn't gone any further I think.

Reactions: DD

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
A confirmed case in Yorkshire, a huge county, any ideas which region?

I have not been too worried about that, as it was on the 1st Feb. It was a horse recently imported from Ireland and was in isolation straight away. None of the others on the same yard got it. So, that one has likely died as a source of further infection.

DD

Visit site
Also vaccinated horses are showing positive, so they too are spreading the disease. its time all equine movements were cancelled and everything shut down til it goes but I doing think they will do that too much money involved makes me angry.

palo1

Visit site
These hunts have a lot to answer for..... racing locked down, all other disciplines insisted on and checked vaccinations but hunting seems to have just carried on without following any of the recommendations from the BEF.

That is not the case everywhere thankfully. I know of at least one pack of drag-hounds that cancelled two meets and other local trail hunts have cancelled mounted meets.

Templebar

Visit site
I sometimes go hunting but have shut down at home, i am surprised they are carrying on. However the governing bodies are not giving them advise and for the other disciplines most are checking passports when on the car park which is too late and when passports are checked not many are checking it matches the horse and if they do by getting that close they then risk passing something on anyway. So all in all without total lock down its a waste of time.

We either lock down or wait it to run through, which could be a while for those of us not willing to chance it.

tristar

Visit site
that spread on the map is unreal from 2 weeks ago, if they had total lock down to start it would be under control now, but as it is you only need to look at the map to see the potential of it spreading

Velcrobum

Visit site
The Worcestershire outbreaks all came from the Worcester Hunt meet and it includes a hireling yard so it would not surprise me in the slightest if it has been spread from hunt area to hunt area by hirelings going out all over the place or visitors from other hunts taking it home and then sharing it at the next meet. I have come across hunting people who would not think twice about taking something with "a bit of a cough" or a bit of a runny nose" out hunting. The vast majority of hunters are not vaccinated so no herd immunity. There is a confirmed outbreak in Gloucestershire and it would be nice to know how close to Worcestershire that one is? That one involves 5 horses in total.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
according to the aht in Shropshire only unvaccinated, in some respects it would be better if they were vaccinated as vaccinated horses with flu are a minimal spread risk as their symptoms are mild.
Sorry, was talking about the Alveley yard.

Velcrobum

Visit site
AHT report states 60 equines on affected yard so locals in Shropshire should be able to work it out hopefully.