Flu outbreak ? ????

racebuddy

Visit site
Just reading about the flu outbreak so heartbreaking and if that gets into england again another catstaohpe awaiting to happen ???? especially as 6 month boosters havent been given due to to covid

doodle

Visit site
I think there was a case in the west of Scotland. Tbh there are “outbreaks” all the time. Unless it is an actual proper outbreak rather than a few cases i don’t worry. It’s like strangles, it is always somewhere if you look and rarely turns in the a proper issue. Although of course a big deal to the people having to deal with.

SO1

Visit site
All the horses on our yard have had their 6 monthly booster no problem at even with Covid the vets have been doing them.

Just reading about the flu outbreak so heartbreaking and if that gets into england again another catstaohpe awaiting to happen ???? especially as 6 month boosters havent been given due to to covid

racebuddy

Visit site
Most have to be fair having 6 month boosters some havent as not gone anywere , but if flu gets over here again everyone at a standstill yet again

bouncing_ball

Visit site
South Bucks - yard rule all livery horses have to have 6 months boosters following the first outbreak.

Mine is due next week and vet coming on thurs to do it.

Thanks, my understanding is sporadic outbreaks have always happened. And it is sometimes picked up, tested snd reported and sometimes missed.

Hopefully won’t grow into significant outbreak of 2019.

TheMule

Visit site
Do you mean the EHV outbreak? Caused by a totally different virus, but yes, really scary and a good reminder about how important bio security is at shows.

Visit site
I don't think flu is more or less prevalent now than when we had the "outbreak"in 2019. What I do think happened there was because it hit the headlines when a couple of young racehorses got it every Tom, Dick and Harry started testing their horses for every cough and every sniffle hence why more cases were found than ever before - because of mass testing. This would not have happened in previous years, the horses would have been given various drugs which didn't work then left to get over it, no testing.

Yeomans

Visit site
Latest AHT update. "unfortunately, we have just had confirmed one more equine flu outbreak in Kent. We have no further details currently, and are investigating all cases with suspicious clinical signs and will keep you updated"

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I don't think flu is more or less prevalent now than when we had the "outbreak"in 2019. What I do think happened there was because it hit the headlines when a couple of young racehorses got it every Tom, Dick and Harry started testing their horses for every cough and every sniffle hence why more cases were found than ever before - because of mass testing. This would not have happened in previous years, the horses would have been given various drugs which didn't work then left to get over it, no testing.
Is there actually a test for equine flu ?