Flu vacc

coss

Visit site
Sorry if this has been done to death...

Horse i work with had her flu booster at the beginning of december 2011. However, december 2010 she had it 10days "late" - the vets told me she's up to date but i'm not sure if they looked at the day as well as the month :rolleyes: she used to be done about 12th of december but was done the 29th (if i remember phone call correctly) in 2010. So i assume that makes her flu out of date?

question two :rolleyes:
In the BRC rulebook, i have until the 9th of March to get her 2nd injection done (which would tie in with her "annual" booster done in 2011) - and that would mean she'd be covered for area competing. When i spoke with the vets, they said it had to be between 4-6weeks (which is what i'd previously thought anyway) - this would mean she'd need the 2 injections (1st and 2nd before 6month booster)
So do i urgently push through a 2nd jab to come inline with BRC or do i go with the vets and do a 1st and 2nd jab when i can fit it in but ensuring 2nd jab is at least 7 days clear of any inter-area comps :rolleyes:

TangoCurly

Visit site
BRC use the BHA rules. BHA has a handy calculator to see if the vaccinations are ok here - http://www.britishhorseracing.com/mobile/vet/vaccs/ .

One thing I'm not sure about is whether it works on a leap year, as in it wants annual vaccinatiosn 365 days apart as a maximum so 20 April 2010 to 20 April 2011 is fine, but not sure that 20 April 2011 to 20 April 2012 is still ok.

coss

Visit site
BRC use the BHA rules. BHA has a handy calculator to see if the vaccinations are ok here - http://www.britishhorseracing.com/mobile/vet/vaccs/ .

One thing I'm not sure about is whether it works on a leap year, as in it wants annual vaccinatiosn 365 days apart as a maximum so 20 April 2010 to 20 April 2011 is fine, but not sure that 20 April 2011 to 20 April 2012 is still ok.

So that would mean her annual vac is definitely out of date.
What about the 4-6weeks opposed to 21-92 days gap between jab 1 and 2?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
it depends how soon you want to do a brc comp.

But I don't know why the vets say it has to be between 4 and 6 weeks :confused: this is presumably what they advise as it is sort of in the middle of the 21-92 days. If mine I would have her second jab now.

eta re vet saying up to date, well for actual flu cover she will be fine but not for competing.

Last edited:

Goya

Visit site
To give an accurate answer to conform with BRC rules we would need to know the actual dates. You can go on BRC website and use the on line flu vac checker. Input your dates and it will give you accurate dates for jabs.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
if you want to PM me the dates for all of your horses vacc and what each vacc was called (as some could be tetanus only) - should be proteq FT or equipe T or similar.

I used to sell horse vaccines for a living and was passport checker on several occasions at the area qualifiers so can tell you what you need.

I suspect you will need to start completely from scratch as it absolutely cannot be a day over the previous years booster.

Your vets are probably saying you are up to date as vaccine manufacturers have different vaccine guidelines but if you want to compete you need to follow jockey club rules.

coss

Visit site
thanks guys :)
am going to take the rulebook into them and see what they say re the 2nd jab. I've got til next thursday to get it done within the 92 days.
I'm not sure what was in her vaccine other than the fact it was definitely flu as i'm not the owner (but have permission from owner to get the vaccs up to jockey club rules) - i just know when it was done :p

glenruby

Visit site
Can't really follow what you are saying about having to have the 2nd vaccine in the course by the 9th. Have you had the first? U didn't mention it. The reason for thd vets differing is that the manufacturers recommendations which should also be taken into account and 4-6 weeks is the period under which the vaccines have been tested. Official fei/brc recommendations are 21-92 days. The sooner you do it the sooner you can compete.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
glenruby she had what would have been her annual vac on the 29th dec (late) op is considering this is then the 'first vac' (I am assuming they are the same composition)

coss

Visit site
glenruby she had what would have been her annual vac on the 29th dec (late) op is considering this is then the 'first vac' (I am assuming they are the same composition)

yes - she has the 2011 vac on the 7th dec - a previous year was the 29th when should have been about the 12th-ish
I will also be asking if the annual booster can be considered as the first ;):)

Goya

Visit site
If you count the 7th Dec as the first vac you must have the second between 29th Dec and 9th March. The third is then 150-215 days after the second. This then falls within BRC regulations

glenruby

Visit site
Officially as Gota said. You are correct that having it by the 9th will allow you to compete in BRC competitions.

Polonaise

Visit site
The "usual" set of rules is 21-92 days in between first 2 jabs, 150-215 days in between 2nd and 3rd, the less then 365days in between all subsequent vaccinations.
FEI rules are slightly different.
Vets will sometimes make different recommendations based upon how the vaccines actually work, for competition purposes it is up to you to read your rulebook not your vet.
And yes, as far as BRC and FEI are concerned it does matter that it was a day late 10 years ago!