Fluid

Janetterose

Visit site
Well Rose has finally come into season and the likelihood is that she will be covered in the next couple of days. Only thing is she has fluid which has not responded to Oxytocin. Anybody got any ideas as to how that affects her potential to get pregnant?

sallyf

Visit site
If the fluid cant be got rid of with oxytocin and washouts ,saline and antibiotic then there is virtually no chance she will be in foal.
We actually arnt using ocytocin this year but another longer acting drug that works in a similar way with much better results at shifting fluid.
Its called something like Recipricol pronunciation and spelling most likely wrong.

sallyf

Visit site
We try and get rid of some but dont panic if all isnt gone we then treat aggresively after the mare has ovulated.

Janetterose

Visit site
Thats great sally, you are very helpful. Would you inseminate at the normal time - I read somewhere that where there is fluid you would inseminate 2 to 3 days before ovulation.
Janette

mlm

Visit site
my mare had fluid day after insemination. she was washed out and the vet came the next day and it wa still present but not as bad so she was washed out agin then stitched. 2 weeks later she was in foal but the vet then said that he was surprised after the amount of fluid but we were lucky. we are now 6 weeks and have seen the scan and it is lovely

sallyf

Visit site
The correct spelling of the long acting drug we are using to get rid of fluid is called Reprocine.

Janetterose

Visit site
Thanks Sally - have I seen before that you use Western Counties vets? If so, then there is no reason why they wont use it on my mare after insemination?

Janetterose

Visit site
Have spoken to Western Counties for an update. They have been using reprocine so thats good. Will scan tomorrow for follicles