Fly bite or something else

Tacobell

Visit site
Hi all ,
Horse came out in these lumps in one area yesterday . Site is quite hot to touch so I gave it a cool bath with hibi scrub , arnica gel and sudocream . I also gave some antihistamine tablets that I had in the car . Is there anything else I should Be doing to help this ?
He was/is in a fly rug and fly sprayed so I can only assume something crawled underneath unless you thing it’s something else ?

Attachments

• 5577C6FC-61C0-48D2-9686-FAC6EE8DAB02.jpeg
    5577C6FC-61C0-48D2-9686-FAC6EE8DAB02.jpeg
    867.6 KB · Views: 65

holeymoley

Visit site
It looks more like he’s came into contact with something and reacted, doesn’t look like a fly bite. As long as it doesn’t spread it should be fine.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
Some fly sprays shouldn't be used in direct sunlight.
Too hot under rug.
Could have rolled or rubbed on something.
Substitute sudocreme for flamazine. It will block up the hair follicle and delay regrowth of coat.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Have you been riding and he's reacted to what you washed your saddle cloth in? Just a thought.

I wouldn't put anything on it, it looks like an allergic reaction and you don't want another reaction to what you put on it.

Tacobell

Visit site
Hi all , just an update on this . The lumps got smaller and then got little scabby heads on them . Vet put him on course of antibiotics, finished course on Fri and within 24 hours they were back in big lumps like on the first day and had spread . Back on another course of antibiotics and lumps gone down and now just scabby heads . Any ideas?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Hi all , just an update on this . The lumps got smaller and then got little scabby heads on them . Vet put him on course of antibiotics, finished course on Fri and within 24 hours they were back in big lumps like on the first day and had spread . Back on another course of antibiotics and lumps gone down and now just scabby heads . Any ideas?
Possibly folliculitis

Tacobell

Visit site
Hi all ,
Further update on this .with one week of tmp antibiotics it had settled down however within 24 hours of him being off them the bumps came back twice as bad . Went back on to another week of tmp and had a steroid jab and they nearly went to nothing . His last tmp was thurs morn and this morning the bumps are starting to come back ! Pic of this morn

Attachments

• 24B1FF5B-1FD9-4A61-9514-14DD5C86C76F.jpeg
    24B1FF5B-1FD9-4A61-9514-14DD5C86C76F.jpeg
    607 KB · Views: 12