Fly Bites - advice please

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
My horse is still sufferering from fly bites even though the weather has cooled down. They are causing small scabs around his girth area. Has anyone tried any nutritional supplement type remedies such as the ThinkFly tub licks or granules? They are very expensive so I don't want to waste my money but he doesn't like fly spray being applied and it doesn't last very long either. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

loopylis

wythallriders.proboards100.com
I use benzel benzoate bought from the local chemist for 3 quid a large bottle and dab it on have tried loads supplements but didnt find any that really worked feed garlic all year round and dettol makes great fly spray then the bezel benzoate if they do get bitten soothes and heals really well good luck x

RachelMcTimoney

www.mctimoney4animals.com
my new mare had not had a fly rug/fly spray on all summer and was covered in awful scabs and lumps from fly bites, i asked my vet when he came to start her vaccinations as i was worreid they were stil lingering and couldn't get rid of scabs, he said to hibiscrub everyday and gave me some steroid cream to use for 5 days. Are they def fly bites? hope that some help!

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Yes, I think they are def fly bites because I have seen loads of flies on him and he gets very irritated by them. I will try one or more of the remedies suggested (I used to use Benzyl with success on another horse but, for some reason, had forgotten about it!) and the ask the vet next time he is on the yard. It has only just got to the scabby stage but I would like to get rid of it asap.