Fly mask and flies

Groom Mum

Visit site
One of my ponies has had very messy sticky runny eyes for past few days. I got the vet in and she said its conjunctivitis caused by the over excessive amount of flies. I've been putting antibiotic gel in them ( which is a major fight three times a day) and they clear up nice. So I put them in one field to graze and he comes back in really sticky and sore again. So vet suggested using a fly mask with him. This could be a real problem as he's head shy and really hates anything touching or around his head, especially ears. Is there any way to do this with minimal drama pls ? I was thinking of maybe keeping his head collar on so he won't run away and freak out then I can't get him back. Any ideas. ? Thanks.

Groom Mum

Visit site
You could try a fly fringe attached to a field safe headcollar for now if his head shy.

I've used the fly fringe. That was difficult enough to get on him. I think it helped a bit, but it doesn't keep the flies completely off the eyes. I'm going to try today. See how I go.

Groom Mum

Visit site
I got the masks on both of them. My baby is always quite good with stuff around his head.
My older one is a challenge ! but after a couple of rears and backing off he finally had it put on. They were both really good all day with them on so all is good. I need to keep putting it on every day and hopefully their eyes will stay fly free and less sore.

Groom Mum

Visit site
oh and they live out 24/7, but they have a shelter which is like a big stable without a door which they spend quite a lot of the night in.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I got the masks on both of them. My baby is always quite good with stuff around his head.
My older one is a challenge ! but after a couple of rears and backing off he finally had it put on. They were both really good all day with them on so all is good. I need to keep putting it on every day and hopefully their eyes will stay fly free and less sore.

they will help with the flies I would wipe the eyes twice a day with a wipe for each eye so not to spread any infection, maybe use some treats as bribery to get the thing on and off it will at least be a distraction and he will soon get used to it.

Groom Mum

Visit site
Oh I gave him treats today to distract him. It's amazing what a titbit or two will get done. He's not a bad pony he just is a bit scared at first. Then we go through the " I'm not doing that" stage. Then he comes around and is always a good boy in the end.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Oh I gave him treats today to distract him. It's amazing what a titbit or two will get done. He's not a bad pony he just is a bit scared at first. Then we go through the " I'm not doing that" stage. Then he comes around and is always a good boy in the end.

treats can be a god send my first horse hated the noise of velcro being undone so fly masks were not easy, I used to feed her polo's while pulling it and used to cough really loud so she couldn't hear it so much lol!

Groom Mum

Visit site
Oh the Velcro. I ripped it off not thinking and almost scared my boy to death. So the second strip I fed treats and talked loud to him. That helped !!!