Fly masks and rain ....

maxapple

Visit site
Who leaves fly masks on in the rain?

My pony is suffering this year with sweet itch and possibly hay fever, as he is really rubbing his face and eyes. He is out most of the time, coming in daily for a few hours for a rest.

I left his fly mask off for one night and his eyes were itchy and sore the next day, but I assume if its raining there will be no flies so may as well leave it off? We have sunshine and rain predicted for the rest of the week so not sure what to do for the best. I don't want him to be uncomfortable in it if it rains.

be positive

Visit site
He will be more comfortable with it on as protection against the midges and pollen, unless you are going to be in and out every time it starts raining just leave it on.
I am not using them yet as there are hardly any flies around but once they go on unless the rain it persistent and set in for the day I will leave them on and have never had a problem.

Wheels

Visit site
I tend to leave my SI horse's mask on, especially on a sunshine and showers days as the midges come out in force after a shower. The only days its off is when it's very windy

figgy

Visit site
I leave my chasel one on 24/7 all weathers its stiff so when it does rain it dont stick to my horses face his fine in it .

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I leave my boy's off whenever possible; never feel happy if they're left on 24/7 as it doesn't give them a break from it. But then mine are half in/half out anyway.

Instead of a fly mask, I use a carrier oil like Olive oil mixed up with a few drops of Neem, sponged on over face & ears (inside the ears too). Midges hate landing on oily stuff!

Seems to work for us; tho' if its mega-midgey, I'd either bung them in the stable OR go for the fly mask.

figgy

Visit site
I have to leave mine on 24/7 as he has a tumour on his 3rd eye lid and needs protecting from all weather .

starryeyed

Visit site
If it's chucking it down heavily and I'm home, I will take them off as they can get a bit soggy and horrible and I can't think it's too pleasant! - plus they roll and get them covered in mud! However if I'm at work then I don't worry about the masks being on, it's not the end of the world if they get soaked through and I take them off when they come in for the evening so they're not stood in wet masks for ages anyway. I suppose it depends on how badly affected your horse is by flies though - I always left the mask on my late gelding as he suffered from very bad sweetitch and in the gaps between rain showers the midges drove him completely mad.

maxapple

Visit site
Yep - had to take it off tonight and bring it home to wash as it was soaking and covered in mud so he couldn't see anything! I do have a spare but that's list in his field somewhere too!

mandwhy

Visit site
I normally take them off at night but don't mind about them wearing wet ones in the daytime as the flies love swarming out for warm damp conditions after rain, makes my skin crawl just thinking about a warm rainy day, eurgh!

I haven't had to use them so far though, my horse seems to be much more bothered around the udders and belly, so fly repellent and sudocreme!