Fly masks that stay on

Upthecreek

Visit site
Anyone have any recommendations for fly masks that stay on please. I have tried a couple of Shires, Rambo and Equilibrium and he gets them all off. I was wondering about the Weatherbeeta stretchy lycra type or someone recommended the Le Mieux armour shield pro. Anyone tried those or can recommend one that doesn’t end up in the field after an hour?

TheMule

Visit site
Anyone have any recommendations for fly masks that stay on please. I have tried a couple of Shires, Rambo and Equilibrium and he gets them all off. I was wondering about the Weatherbeeta stretchy lycra type or someone recommended the Le Mieux armour shield pro. Anyone tried those or can recommend one that doesn’t end up in the field after an hour?

If he's good at getting out of them then be careful with the Lycra ones- they can pull down into the eyes and cause direct damage or terrify them if they block their vision.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
my lemieux came off a fair bit so I went back to equilibrium
are you using ones with/without ears and nose?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ok so the lemieux with nose (no ears) definitely came off more than the equilibrium with ears and nose. I don't think it is helped by having small ears!
The trouble with the equilibrium is they aren't really made for native pony forelocks and as nose protection became more important (photosensitive) we ended up using separate nose protection and the no ears/no nose equilibrium mask.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I'm not a fan of fly masks, particularly if you have thorny hedges or they are loose fitting and allow fly to get underneath. I've known a couple of horses loose an eye because of infections or injury.
I have used the fringe type veils with the velcro tabs which work pretty well.

AFB

Visit site
Ok so the lemieux with nose (no ears) definitely came off more than the equilibrium with ears and nose. I don't think it is helped by having small ears!
The trouble with the equilibrium is they aren't really made for native pony forelocks and as nose protection became more important (photosensitive) we ended up using separate nose protection and the no ears/no nose equilibrium mask.

Some have holes for the forelock so you can keep it out of the way - PE for example

Visit site
I recently bought one of these for one of my minis, very impressed with the quality and the fastening is very secure. My minis have a habit of undressing each other all the other masks generally are lying in the field but this mask has stayed firmly in place. It hasnt got a nose but might be worth looking at the site, for one with a nose. https://m.kramer.co.uk/Horse/Fly-Protection/Fly-Masks-Fringes/Fly-Mask-Basic

Pippity

Visit site
The Lycra-type ones lasted maybe an hour on my horse, but she usually still has her Harrison Howard CareMaster on her when I see her. Mine has full ears and fringing over the nose, but they also do a full-face one.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Was the rambo one you tried this one with the hoop?

https://www.hopevalleysaddlery.co.uk/rambo-fly-mask-plus-vamoose-dmaf14-free-uk-delivery.html

I've got a horse that wont keep any others on except ones with a hoop. Also have you tried one without a nose? Maybe it's irritating him?

Yep that was the one! The nose is removable so I tried it without but no difference. Unfortunately he knows he can get them off now & he has a very ‘helpful’ field mate if he really can’t manage it himself ? I don’t normally worry too much about him not wearing one, it’s his choice, but I just had the vet out for a swollen eye & it could really do with protection from the flies while it heals.

Britestar

Visit site
Equine sunvisior.
Not cheap, and you have to order from USA, but worth every penny.
I have a mare with uveitis, who has to wear a uv mask all year round. This one stays on regardless of weather.
I'm ordering a new one this weekend if anyone wants to share shipping.

AFB

Visit site