Fly Masks - wide over eyes

MagicMelon

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a fly mask which has the best clearance over the eyes please? I have Le Mieux and Shires but one of my horses is suffering terribly with swollen puffy eyes despite wearing a mask from morning until it gets dark - Im thinking the mesh might also be irritating his eyes. The mesh seems to end up folding near his eye even though there are darts and the masks are the right size.

I see the Horseware Rambo Plus which seems very expensive but it seems to be shaped well away from the eyes. Also the LeMieux bug relief mask looks quite good? Hard to tell though from photos if the mesh ends up sitting too close though. Any recommendations please? Horse is a luso x TB so has quite a delicate head but wide across the eyes (probably arab shape).

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Thanks, which version do you have and Ill take a look please? I see theres a lycra one, or the more usual shaped mainly mesh type etc.

I’ve got the mesh HH ones and although they are well made I find they don’t give as much eye clearance as I’d like. They need to be wider - even the XL isn’t really wide enough.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The Rambo plus 'beekeeper' style.

DMAF15-MNK0-_RGB.jpg

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
The Shires deluxe have better eye clearance but the one I bought ripped apart in one night but I think I was unlucky.

I find a lot of masks dome at the forehead but are not really wide enough.

Millie-Rose

Visit site
I had this dilemma, needed mask for filly who was having eye problems as it was so definitely didn't want to add to that by mask pushing into her eyes. Bought the Rambo dome one. Does the job, very pleased.

Esyllt

Visit site
I've got a shires one, and it is massive on my mare. To the point it's too easy for self removal!

Maisie53

Visit site
I love the rambo fly masks but I think they come up big. My 11.2 small pony is a bit big and my 15.1 pony fits but it's not snug!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The Rambo plus beekeeper masks are brilliant and keep the mesh well away from the eye.

Mine have all had fly eye recently to some extent, one worse than the other two. I've been keeping their Equilibrium masks on 24/7 except for a brief respite when they come onto their stables. They don't mind, and the fly eye has now cleared up. I did use chloramphenicol eye drops.

The Equilibriums are very good masks, but have not got as much clearance as the Rambo.

ETA Pics. These are all good masks that IME do not rub.
Equililbrium with ears.
F48F8B41-F1EF-4492-A03F-A420D845715C.jpeg

Rambo beekeeper

12CD16C0-27C9-45D2-B8DB-39EB146E7C7C.jpeg

Cashel

68B2DA5C-B2B2-4E85-B7D1-EFDFB774CE7A.jpeg

Last edited:

Julia0803

Visit site
Harrison Howard also do a beekeeper style mask, a bit cheaper than the Rambo one too. I picked mine up on Amazon for £29.

They give lots of clearance. My chunky cob is in between cob/full depending on brand. I initially bought a full as I was worried about clearance. But really it was too big and came off several times. I bought a cob size abd it’s fine- sits several inches away from his eyes.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I like the Rambo for clearance or Nag Horse Ranch ones (but they are more expensive as very high UV cover). Having said that, the Premier Equine Busters seem to work well for ours, including Welsh A with pronounced eyes, even if they don't appear to have as much clearance.

Nasicus

Visit site
Another Rambo Beekeeper fan here. My only complain would be no loop at the top for attaching to a rug or plaiting some hair through, but then that can be remedied with either some scissors or some fabric and thread, I'm just lazy.

eggs

Visit site
Kramer do their own version of the Rambo beekeeper fly mask (or they certainly did last year as I bought a couple) and they work out significant cheaper than the Rambo ones. The do come up quite big though.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I think it very much depends on the shape of the individual horse's face as I don't have this problem ?
I never had an issue before this year, however I ordered two and both fit my boys very closely to the eyes. Ones a Welsh x with a fat head and ones a warmblood! So not sure if they have changed the sizing or something? However I haven’t tried their beekeeper style one

Visit site
I never had an issue before this year, however I ordered two and both fit my boys very closely to the eyes. Ones a Welsh x with a fat head and ones a warmblood! So not sure if they have changed the sizing or something? However I haven’t tried their beekeeper style one

interesting! Mine is from last year so maybe they have changed!