Fly rug recommendations

I'm Dun

Visit site
Im not quite sure what I'm looking for! My TB is quite a sensitive boy and really needs a fly rug. Hes got a Rambo summer series which is a brilliant rug but too much when its really hot. I'm looking for something soft but reasonably durable, with a neck but not one that goes over his ears. He had a cheap zebra one last year and something got inside it and bit him all over. Are there any rugs better at stopping that from happening?

The rug also seemed to fall apart as soon as I put it on! I'd rather buy a better quality make like Rambo etc if its going to last the way their turnouts do. It doesnt sit well with me buying a new cheap one a couple of times a year.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've got one of these Horseware Amigo 3 in 1 fly rugs with Vamoose impregnated in. I'm not sure that the more recent ones have Vamoose? It's a good ventilated fit. It does have the V shaped plastic disc front closures which I thought I'd hate, but have worked well in practice.

https://www.chelfordfarmsupplies.co...P5ZUTnOpqLiMTlAGCs0aAtWNEALw_wcB#rug_size=286

This rug has done several seasons. It's not suitable for a full heatwave, but copes well with much warmer weather than her summer series rug does. She's a lightweight sports horse type. The belly wrap gives good coverage of that area.

EA315BCC-EA88-44C7-A62A-9D0849CAA36A.jpeg

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It doesn't smell, but it is supposed to be very toxic to cats, so you are advised not to let your cat lie on a folded up Vamoose impregnated rug.

We didn't have a cat when I got the Vamoose rugs (I've got a few in different designs), but we have since been acquired by a cat, as you are :D.

She's not come to any harm, but the rugs are all old now.

ETA Maybe Horseware have discontinued their Vamoose range?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Weatherbeeta ripshield, I've got an older one but they do an equivalent in the Comfitec range. It's very thin but tough fabric so it's hard-wearing but not too hot.

ihatework

Visit site
I like the premier equine superlite ones for any horses that must wear something in proper warm weather.
Alternatively for regular turnout, Amigo Aussie

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Op, have a look at Hope valley saddlery. They have some good offers at the moment.
I just bought one of mine the Optimo and my old horse who gets really itchy a Aussie, really like them both.
I have always been a Superlite fan but they are difficult to repair and easy to break!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I really like the Shires Highlander sweet itch ones but see you done want ears, they do fly rugs without-they are nice for fly rugs, wash really well, dont slip. Afraid makes like PE etc are not built for ponies with necks like bulls.

Follysmum

Visit site
I have always had amigo or Rambo which I still use but have bought a mark todd ultra ( got stretchy neck) and think it’s fab. Got mine for £58 but they do range uptick £80 odd .

wiglet

Visit site
I've got the Rambo Flybuster Vamoose. Actually I've got two - the old version and the new version which has a bigger neck cover. Not actually used the new version yet - the old one has lots of life left in it! I got it from Eileen Douglas Tack Shops Ltd - they have some good offers on Rambo fly rugs.