Fly rug that doesn't rub - recommendations please

boxcarhorse

Visit site
Hi

My horse is at a yard where there are loads of horse flies, so needs to wear a fly rug whenever he's turned out in the summer. He's currently in a Premier Equine super lite fly rug, but it's rubbed his wither raw. He's a chunky, short coupled warmblood, with no wither. Can anyone please recommend a rug that won't rub as I urgently need to buy a new one.

Thanks in advance.

_HP_

Visit site
Mine has sweet itch and so lives in fly rugs most of the year. he is a heavyweight cob with no withers and very broad shoulders.
He has a Rambo Sweet itch hoody and a Premier Equine sweet itch hoody...neither of which rub anywhere. Both fit close.

khalswitz

Visit site
I had problems with my boy's chest and shoulders getting rubbed to bleeding. I bought an Amigo Aussie all rounder - not strictly a fly sheet, slightly heavier but is also water resistant, and he hasn't had any problems since. More rip proof than a fly sheet too!!!

dreamcometrue

Visit site
I've had a look around and I think the Shires Tempest looks good as it is made for substantial horses. Unfortunately everywhere seems to have sold out of the size i want. :(

Louby

Visit site
Ive got the Rambo Protector and the Premier Equine bug buster?? and both started to rub the shoulders of my ISH so I bought the Amigo Mio fly rug and it hasnt rubbed at all BUT its pretty trashed after a week! These are great for horses that keep themselves to themselves but not for those that play!

Shooting Star

Visit site
Ditto loubys experience, I have a PE and a mio. On my fine skinned but broad chested boy the PE rubs whereas the mio doesn't but the mio definitely isn't as sturdy although I do like how lightweight and soft it is.

Nari

Visit site
Last week I bought an Amigo XL Bug Rug for my big fronted ID & so far I've been chuffed to bits with it. Plenty of room in the neck & shoulders, fastens low enough across the chest that it doesn't dig in when he grazes & wraps most of the way around his belly (though I had to do a bit of sewing to shorten the surcingles). The much more generous cut means I could actually have bought a size smaller than normal, but I wasn't going to drive back to the shop to change it. His Amigo Mio is now downgraded to emergencies & washing duties because this is a much much better fit :)

Rosie'smum

Visit site
My Cob is in a shires sweet itch rug and has yet to rub her. She lives in it 24.7. Although is a little tight on the shoulders but no rubs.

helen75

Visit site
Swish rugs - fab!!

Superb fit so do slip back and rub. Cheap too! My boy has never had a rug that has lasted more than one summer but the swish rug has. No rubbing either - bonus!

gwniver

Visit site
Snuggy hoods bug rug , both of mine love theirs and the fact I can take on the neck for days when the flies arent so bad is really helpful