Fly rugs - apologies for a rug thread 😆

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
This nice weather has me thinking ahead 😎

Looking for recommendations please for fly rugs that definitely won't rub sensitive horse's shoulders - have tried Gallop Masta & Amigo with no luck even though the rugs were lined 🙄

I don't mind shelling out for an expensive one if I know it's worth it 😅

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Have you tried using a Bossy's Bib underneath? My horse's shoulders and chest used to be massive when he was younger and in more work, and all his rugs would scuff his chest a bit even though they fit just fine. I used a BB underneath and BOOM! No rubs. This was underneath fly rugs and turnouts. Saves going through endless different fly rugs only to find that they may all rub to some extent. FWIW, my fly rug (for my sweet itcher) of choice is Rambo sweet itch rug as it fits his shoulders nicely.

Brownmare

Visit site
Another vote for Rambo sweet itch hoody. I have never yet come across a horse that gets rubbed by a rambo rug and I find they stay cooler and more comfortable in the sweet itch hoody than normal fly rugs.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I bought the Bucas zebra sweet itch rug last year and it fitted my horse terribly - awfully tight around the shoulders and the chest strap was positioned so high it was cutting into his neck. I went back to the Rambo. Shame really as it was a lovely rug otherwise.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Have you tried using a Bossy's Bib underneath? My horse's shoulders and chest used to be massive when he was younger and in more work, and all his rugs would scuff his chest a bit even though they fit just fine. I used a BB underneath and BOOM! No rubs. This was underneath fly rugs and turnouts. Saves going through endless different fly rugs only to find that they may all rub to some extent. FWIW, my fly rug (for my sweet itcher) of choice is Rambo sweet itch rug as it fits his shoulders nicely.

I've heard good reports about these before - I think I'm going to invest in one - thank you 😀

Reactions: DD

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
They're so good, and the customer service is top notch. If you still have the old fly rugs and they fit your horse ok then I would try the Bossy's Bib with one of the old ones before spending a load of money on a new rug and see how you get on.