Fly rugs for mares with foals

Quincy1

Visit site
Hi, what to people think are the best fly rugs for a mare with a foal of a few weeks old? Will the foal be able to feed OK? and should I take off leg straps and fillet strings?

competitiondiva

Visit site
Anytime you turn out a mare in a rug with a foal at foot you risk the foal getting caught up in the straps etc. It is a risk and one you need to weigh up as to whether it is a necessary one. My mare normally wears a rambo sweetitch hoody as the flies around us are hurrendous. But this year she's naked as she has a foal, I'm therefore just relying on the fly sprays and creams, fingers crossed it seems to be doing the trick so far!

Tnavas

Visit site
Avoid covering the mare until the foal has got a lot bigger - around 4½ - 5mths. They wave those little feet around so much it's a real worry that little legs wil get inbetween cover and mum. The stud I worked at evven took the identity collars off the mare once she had foaled as in the past they had a foal break a leg by getting his foot between mum and the collar.

My mums don't wear headcollars in the paddock for the same reason.

tinawales

Visit site
Our Section A is out in a snuggyhood rug. She has the dreaded itch. It started after she went to the stallion last year so her first foal was 1 month old. The rug kept off the midges but not the foal.

The advantage of these rugs is that they are held on by velcro so that if the foal were to get a foot in a strap the strap would undo before the leg (hopefully) broke. She is back in it now with a 2 week old foal at foot. So far so good.

(She will not be going to the stallion again as there is a heritable link. We weren't a hundred percent sure it was sweet itch as the stallion had bitten her and the flies were causing mayhem. Too late to abort once we were certain.)