Fly rugs on or off ?‍♀️?‍♀️

racebuddy

Visit site
With warmer wheather Whats everyone doing this week mine due for clipping and we’re hot today in the fly rugs , but will they get bitten to death if leave the rugs off ?‍♀️?‍♀️?‍♀️ What’s everyone’s elses doing ??

Ali27

Visit site
I’ve never had a horse who wears a fly rug! I like mine to be rug free in Summer! I only rug my one pony who is in work and clipped during the Winter ?

PSD

Visit site
Mines off, because he seems to be getting too warm in it and getting agitated. I’ve just stocked up on fly spray too, he’s stables at the moment and the flies aren’t too bad in his stable thankfully

tda

Visit site
On unfortunately, she has sweet itch so no option. Just felt under her rug this evening and she was sweaty (10pm!) Have got an older slightly thinner one to switch to in the morning

TPO

Visit site
One of mine is allergic to everything that bites and everything that bites seems to want to bite him ???‍♀️

Amigo Aussie All rounder rug and weatherbeeta cotton sheet are great in hot weather, especially the aussie all rounder. Keeps him cool and flies off his skin to a degree, just wish it had a belly flap.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Cob is now in during the day and out at night, to counter the heat. He won't be working much this winter so clipping right now is out as I would like him to live out at night, rules, for as long as possible. He wears a fly rug for a few hours in the evening and it is taken off again once it is dark.

Fancy horse wears one. He is now in during the night, no rug, out during the day until 2pm, then in to cool off, ridden during the evening.

It's the best I can do.

ihatework

Visit site
Off.
I generally only use them when the horse flies are around (or midges if anything is sweetitch). Standard black flies are far less bothersome.

It’s nice for them to get time rugless if possible!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I’ve never had a horse who wears a fly rug! I like mine to be rug free in Summer! I only rug my one pony who is in work and clipped during the Winter ?
nor me! Mine are in during the day instead as no shade in their field. They mainly just have annoying buzzy flies rather than anything biting. my youngsters have more midges but they use their shelter.

Muddywellies

Visit site
M
nor me! Mine are in during the day instead as no shade in their field. They mainly just have annoying buzzy flies rather than anything biting. my youngsters have more midges but they use their shelter.
Mine is in too during the day in the summer, but rubs like crazy on the walls and top door frame. Hence, sweetitch rug on 24/7. It's far from ideal, but better than rubbing herself raw. She's also slathered in creams to reduce the itch. The vet has taken a look and sadly confirmed it is sweet itch (I was thinking perhaps neckworm, sunlight sensitivity etc etc) and to follow the usual rules. Though when it's really warm I do take a gamble and remove it for a few hours. Roll on winter ?

Fransurrey

Visit site
I've had to leave it on and had to apply fly mask today for the first time this summer. She's self harming again around her head and udder, so she'd be a nightmare for the neck and belly if I left her naked (sweet itch). I did give her a dettol bath, though.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I'd like mine to have more time without a rug but he rubs. He doesn't have sweet itch exactly, but is a sensitive creature. With the rug on he rubs far less or not at all. If it's too hot I will remove it, take the neck piece off, or the yard with change over to night turnout.

L&M

Visit site
Mine has his back on - but I did clip him at the weekend and being blue and white can burn, so more for sun protection!

Checked him at 2.30pm today, around 27 c and still cool under his fly rug.......

claret09

Visit site
i have a rambo fly rug and an amigo aussie rug for my boy. on hot days the aussie rug is much better, it is much cooler and he has more protection from the flies. on cooler days he often has both on

babymare

Visit site
My girl’s went on end February to beginning of November . My great vet told me that and so helped with her horrific sweetitch. And she had it bad. My vet said “that first bite starts it”.