fly rugs - yes or no?

Ella19

Visit site
I've always rugged my mare in a derby house fly rug and its protected her well. This year however the horse flies are whoppers and they are biting her through the tug and even getting in underneath it! I've covered her in fly spray but that only lasts a dew hours and she's out 24/7. I'm starting to wonder if she would be better off without one?

princessa81

Visit site
It's funny you should say that,because Im from Glasgow but am down in Yorkshire at mo with hubby and I havent seen one horse with a fly rug on! My boy has ripped 2 of them off in the past fortnight so i wont be putting on another! Ive ordered Farnam tri tec to spray him with as the horse flies are like birds at the moment!

Elizabeth

x

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
Ive just done the opposite tonight. Usually leave my boy without but yesterday he came in with a swelling and lumps the area of my hand and today he has come in with another one but on the other side and a few litttles ones on his face and shoulder =( he was looking thoroughly unimpressed stood in the field so brought him in where he sulked and looked just as depressed lol. So today I have dug out his fly rug (its only the main rug as he ripped his neck part) so I guess I will see how he is tomorrow!

I have left him without as it has been so warm and I have never liked the thought of fly's getting under his rug and then getting trapped but it can't do any more damage than the whoppers he already has!

Ella19

Visit site
It's a hard choice isn't it! She seems to have done a good job of rolling and squashing the trapped ones so perhaps i'll leave it on her?