Fly spray…. Is it me?!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Today I rode for the first time in full fly mode, really really unpleasent,(I’ve been going out very early up til today) I’d forgotten the swatting horseflies and wafting swarms buzzing after you. Not to mention the assive unknown thing that followed us about a mile threatening to land but don’t think it did *was planning to bail if it did ??
I have fly sprays, stacks of the stuff but really don’t think it ever seems to work.
Just reading on fb a thread about fly repellants and people are saying things like “ I use x it’s the best, nothing ever lands on my horse” and “ X kills flies as soon as they land on my horse, they drop off dead”

Am I the only person that feels like i may as well just shred £20 notes and get the same effect as fly spray. I’ve tried so many including Spot on types, deosect, phaser.

Maybe I don’t use enough ??‍♀️
Also wondered whilst on the subject is it Deet that damages leather tack?
exasperated……

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Oh I think we had everything out in force today. Mainly horseflies which as I understand hunt by sight anyway. Reading this thread on fb though everyone else manages to just spray and go!

st_marks

Visit site
I find effectiveness varies by location, type of fly, etc. The one your farrier uses is probably a decent choice for your area.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
not just you. they are all just expensive perfume around here. the only things that seem to work are barriers for midges, I've never found anything effective against horseflies or even those stupid buzzy flies.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I did have some success with Hot Horse fly spray. Rigs is black so really attracts them. I could have done a video the same as their advert, where the horse fly landed and wandered around aimlessly, seemingly unable to bite.

They did also seem to be less around him, like one time I washed him and he had 6 on him, then sprayed and he had a couple come to have a look, then fly ff again disappointed.

Bought a shed load this year!

maya2008

Visit site
Mostly I just aim to go fast enough the flies don’t get us. Thankfully this summer it keeps raining so that goal is being successfully achieved! ?

Citronella summer wash sprays work fine - they can’t call it fly spray but it is the original recipe pretty much.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Does anyone ride with a fringed ride on fly rug?
I have a ride on fly rug but it’s not a fringe one. It’s unbearable hacking here at the moment, we got attacked by horseflies tonight.
I made a fly rug with a tulle skirt. It keeps the flies off. I also find the striped ones are better.

cauda equina

Visit site
I have a ride on fly rug but it’s not a fringe one. It’s unbearable hacking here at the moment, we got attacked by horseflies tonight.
Yes, I do
It works well, we can go places that would be impossible otherwise

Squeak

Visit site
Horseware do a Rambo flyrider vamoose fly ride rug impregnated with permethrin - I wonder if that works? I've got the non vamoose version which is pretty good.

https://www.hopevalleysaddlery.co.u...-on-fly-rug-with-vamoose--oatmealblack__14204

It doesn’t ? it helps because it makes them harder to land on but doesnt really do much. I’d like to give a zebra fringed fly rug a go next but it’s hard to justify another ride on fly rug when I have the Rambo sitting doing nothing.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
It doesn’t ? it helps because it makes them harder to land on but doesnt really do much. I’d like to give a zebra fringed fly rug a go next but it’s hard to justify another ride on fly rug when I have the Rambo sitting doing nothing.

I bought a 6’ Busse zebra fly rug and neck last year. Still have it, used twice, horse not impressed.

Squeak

Visit site
I have found the most effective solution for riding is a fringe for his face and then taking a bottle of power phaser with me and spraying a couple of times on a ride when ever the flies build up.

Mrs G

Visit site
Ive never found a fly spray that really works against horseflies so I got a ride-on fringed fly rug from Kramer a few years ago - it's been a god-send! My sensitive skinned TB gets himself in a proper pickle in horsefly season; he was almost unrideable at times. The fly sheet helps massively - especially the fringes to protect his super-sensitive underneath areas and worn with a fly bonnet and brushing boots all round to cover him up as much as I can!

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My hesitation with ride on rugs is that I can pretty much reach and swat the areas they cover. It seems to me to be under the tummy and chest etc that really annoys them.

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
My gorgeous horse who I lost a few years ago loved his ride on rug. We looked so stupid. Like we were going jousting but it made a difference.
I was eaten alive yesterday by horse flies. Fexofenadine means I longer swell up like a nobbly bobbly but I have bruises all over where they punctured me.
I feel like I have had thirty Covid jabs - at least I have a new way to describe the pain.

Cob Life

Visit site
Thankfully we don’t get horse flies too badly!

I’ve found the Carr & day & Martin really good this year for the midges and annoying flies. I tend to like the black naf one too

Sandstone1

Visit site
I have a ride on one with a fringe. It does help a lot. its a Busse (sp) one from Amazon I think.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Having a grey horse and riding out with a dark bay or chestnut horse helps with the clegs. ?

I've never found a fly spray that genuinely works for horse flies or the blue bottle type flies but I've fortunately never had a horse that was particularly bothered.

I think the icaridin spray I use keeps the ticks off and possibly the midges too. So far this year things haven't been so bad but I'm sure it's coming. We just get the waves of pestilence a little later in the year up here.

Carrottom

Visit site
I have found the most effective solution for riding is a fringe for his face and then taking a bottle of power phaser with me and spraying a couple of times on a ride when ever the flies build up.
I have found the power phaser effective, if you sray a horse fly it drops dead, also bot flies. Take care if you spray a hot horse. I reapplied power phaser at a show after warming up, my horse had sweated a bit on his chest and neck and where we sprayed the skin went flakey and the top layer came off.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've never found anything that works like it's claimed to.

And I've never found anything which works better for a short time than 50/50 dettol and vinegar. (Don't douse them in it, it can cause bad scurf patches of dead skin in sensitive horses).

I am using Spotinor cattle/sheep spot on for the second year and finding it extremely effective. It also stops ticks anywhere on the body. I repeat every 3 weeks when its effectiveness starts to fade.

Last edited: