FLY SPRAY HELP!

PIAFFES_Sister

Visit site
ok, i have decided the fly spray i use is rubbish! its called 'naf off', really doesnt work in the slightest, tried avon body spray...and have heard about one where you spray it on their backs and it lasts for 2-3 weeks! but i havent a clue what its called...

does anyone have any suggestions?

i can't bare seeing their faces just covered in flies!

thanks!
grin.gif

rema

Visit site
I make my own.I dont spray it on their face but spray it onto a cloth and wipe over the face.

I use...........

1.5 litres of very strong cold tea.
10ml bottle of citronella oil.
500ml of cheap malt vinegar

Mix it all up and put into spray bottle.You get almost 2ltr's for about £1.00.And it works brilliantly..
grin.gif

old_girl

Visit site

I think the one you leave for 3 weeks is usually available from farm shops, for cattle, but don't remember the name.

However, I had 'power phaser' from the tack shop, which was miles and miles and miles better than naff off.
It's the only thing that kept the horse flies off my girl. It's not cheap, about £11 a bottle, and that was about 3-4 weeks worth.

JessPickle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I make my own.I dont spray it on their face but spray it onto a cloth and wipe over the face.

I use...........

1.5 litres of very strong cold tea.
10ml bottle of citronella oil.
500ml of cheap malt vinegar

Mix it all up and put into spray bottle.You get almost 2ltr's for about £1.00.And it works brilliantly..
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

she is right I got the recipe from her works is cheap and doe s last

old_girl

Visit site

Can I just add, it all depends on your flies.

The home-made one worked on the midgies etc, but we have mostly horseflies, and it didn't make a blind bit of diffence to them.

rema

Visit site
The recipe i use works on horseflies too.My friends mare is usually lagged in horseflies but my boy the is the other side of the fence isent bothered by them at all.Not so much as a tail swish.
grin.gif

Louby

Visit site
I think the fly spray you was talking about is called switch or theres also coopers which you arent supposed to have to use as often. Ive never used switch but I didnt find coopers any better than the usual cheaper ones.
Nothing seems to really work, the flies this year are horrendous. Why is it they are attracted more to some horse than others, my boys covered in them when we ride but his friend doesnt seem as bad.

vicm2509

Visit site
I make my own aswell.

I crush some garlic and simmer it in a pan of water for 30 min. Then add the water, minus the garlic.

Add cold tea
Citronella Oil
Tea Tree Oil
Eucalyptus Oil
Lavander Oil
Little bit of Dettol

and put it into a spray bottle.

It seems to work better than most bought fy sprays but when the flies are really bad nothing really keeps them away.

You could try a fly mask and fly rug.

Theresa_F

Visit site
This is mine and works on midges and flies - cannot comment on horse flies - but mine have no bites.

Good website for ordering oils is:

http://www.essential oils direct

5 caps of dettol - from a 500ml size bottle

250 ml of Avon Skin so Soft and fresh - 500 ml bath oil. This can be halved if midges not too bad. I am presently using one third of a bottle which is working well.

1 teaspoon of citronella oil - can go up to 1 ½ if midges bad.
1 teaspoon of eucalyptus oil
1 teaspoon of lavender oil
1 teaspoon of tea tree oil
1 teaspoon cedarwood oil

Put into a 1 litre spray bottle. Top up to make 1 litre with either water or cold tea. Shake well before spraying and give a quick shake after every few squirts to make sure the oil is mixed with the water.

Spray on twice a day using enough to leave a fine mist on the coat. Ok for round sensitive areas.

I have used this on people as well as horses, but please do a patch test first in case your horse reacts to any of the above ingredients.

Cost works out about £3.00 a litre - depending on whether you can get the Avon at half price and how much you use - not as cheap as some receipes but this does work well and smells nice.

PIAFFES_Sister

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i gave up on fly sprays brought a fly rug instead and my horse is loads happier

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh i think i will, its more on their faces mine get them so of course tried a fly mask on the bigger one and she got it off! so put her head collar over it and she managed to rip it off!
but its difficult with the mini shtland havent seen a fly mask small enough!

but i ll try some of the recipes!