Fly spray recommendations

Jingleballs

Visit site
I though I'd post in here as in Scotland we have the unique priviledge of being home to the dreaded midgie!

The flies at my new yard aren't too bad - the were much worse at the last place. It is however getting to that time of the year when all of the horrid beasties come out just to try and spoil our summer!

I've tried home made stuff (citronella, tea trea & bog myrtle) but it doesn't really make much of a difference. I've also used powerphaser which seemed ok but doesnt' last very long.

Is there anything else worth trying that works particularly with midges?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Ruggle It, although its a faff it does seem to help and is a bit rain proof. Barrier Super Fly is ok, Carr Day and Martin Extra Strength isn't bad but don't like the thought of mutual grooming and DEET tbh.

a big, dark shelter is the best thing-or a windy hill top :)

heebiejeebies

Visit site
I make my own, strong stewed tea - about 6-8 teabags per jug, stewed until it's cooled, then a big glug of cider vinegar. The only thing I find is it stains my grey a bit, but he's usually covered in dirt anyway so no one notices :p

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
If none if of the off the shelf things work as they didn't for my chap, vet from RVC recommended Deosect which is a cattle thing but as long as you patch test first is fine to use on horses. It's a little bottle but lasts for years. You dilute it a zillion times, wear gloves and sponge it all over the horse. Unless they are v sweaty or it rains a lot it lasts for weeks so actually works out cheaper than sprays.

I use it cos big chap has ear plaques caused by allergy to tiny black fly bites and being ID with donkey ears they have a huge target :))

curran

Visit site
Biteback strong neem spray is working well so far. No horse flies as yet though - they're the real challenge for any fly spray. I don't think anything keeps them off but would like to be proved wrong.