Flying changes

Law

Visit site
Hello All

I have decided that I want to try flying changes with my little horse and have done some preparatory work but might have a small problem...
I've been reading a really really good book and it says that you should ask for the changes by building up slowly- do it on a straight line and go across the short diagonal asking for the change before you meet the track - i've checked that i have the aids right and have started by going across the long diagonal, canter, canter canter, nice and balanced back to trot for 3-4 strides and gradually reduced this down to 1-2 strides. The problem is that my horse is clever and likes to think he knows what you want - maybe he's psychic
crazy.gif
He's doing a lovely uphill floaty canter, but starts to launch towards the track getting a bit flat and then gets a bit flustered when you get the one stride of trot, strikes off and is unbalanced. It says that you shouldn't punish them if they jump, launch/buck etc as that is easier to correct after they horse has got the general idea. I've read that you can try across the short diagonal and there are other ideas too to help like learning when the appropriate leg is underneath and applying the aids at precisely the right time- my long winded story does have a question at the end and it is this...
someone has advised me to try more pronounced weight change ie doing figures of eight with 2 stright strides over x and ask for the change there- whilst my book

(Dressage Tips and Training Solutions: Based on the German Training System by Petra Heolzel, Wolfgang Heolzel, and Martin Plewa (Hardcover - 31 Dec 1995) advises against this

does anyone have any suggestions or tips please ??

siennamum

Visit site
I would ask for the change as you hit the track at the quarter marker and start cantering on the 'wrong' leg. Horse will probably anticipate and do it for you. Maybe not ideal if you are aiming to train a dressage horse, but adequate for SJ etc.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Ive posted a couple of huge long winded explanations about flying changes in recent weeks, one of which can be found on this thread:-

http://horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1416192/an/0/page/12#1416192

You say you've been trying to teach them via simple changes but that your horse is launching towards the track. Do you mean that you're losing the collection during the transition to trot and then back to canter? If so, Id be working on the quality of the transitions before moving onto changes. For me, the horse needs to be at a sufficient level of self collection prior to asking for changes. If he's collapsing into the trot and throwing himself onto his forehand, this needs addressing before changes and I certainly wouldnt allow him to then go forwards into canter from this.

Id be slightly warey of the second suggestion of attempting them from a figure of 8 as, by the sounds of it, its very dependent on you getting the horse straight for those two strides - which is essential when teaching changes to a horse.

There is a lot of "feel" involved in changes and its something you become better at with experience.

Have a read through my post in the other thread and if you have any more questions or want some clarity afterwards, I'll be happy to help

katiejaye

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Id be working on the quality of the transitions before moving onto changes. For me, the horse needs to be at a sufficient level of self collection prior to asking for changes. If he's collapsing into the trot and throwing himself onto his forehand, this needs addressing before changes and I certainly wouldnt allow him to then go forwards into canter from this.
There is a lot of "feel" involved in changes and its something you become better at with experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd very much agree with Tierra here. I had a very similar problem to you with my horse when I first started with flying changes. I moved yards a year ago and have an excellent trainer who pin pointed the problem as bieng a lack of complete balance and quality in the canter. Since being with new trainer (a year) we have completely stopped with flying changes and instead focussed on the quality within the paces and transitions, lateral work, simple changes etc. I am now starting to work Medium level with him at home and are starting to reintroduce the flying changes. THis time round things have been completely different as Louis' collection and balance is so much more refined and my understanding of the movement is too so things are progressing much easier. I would say that before adressing the flying changes make completely sure that the balance and control is there first. Go back to basics and focuss on transitions and the strength within the canter...good luck
grin.gif

Law

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
Maybe i didn't use the right words. He's very balanced and collected and 'sprightly' is a good way to describe it i suppose and then the quality seems to deteriorate because he gets excited about what is coming next. Launching for the track isn't really what i meant either- i feel like he's going "here it come, here it comes, lets go mummy" and he gets a bit excited. I also don't really agree with the comment about the figure of eights (from the person I was speaking to the other night) as I feel like its harder almost. I don't know but I feel that it makes more sense to have a well collected and balanced horse on a stright line and giving clear aids than to almost force him into coping with change by pronounced direction changes. I'm also doing lateral work, shoulder in, leg yielding etc in schooling sessions too.

His transitions have been terrible in the past - to begin with he was a flat, evasive, hollow horse and it's taken 18 months, the last 6 having the biggest improvement to get him to the state of collection and balance that he's at now. He's no prix st george horse but he's got nice rhythmical paces and is precice. His canter transitions upwards are good and his down transitions to trot are too, he's a little abrupt down to walk tho!