Flying changes

sherwood'

Visit site
Anyoen ahve any simple step by step guides to teach my 5 yr old how to do this? he is getting to the stage in his jumping that i really need him to be able to do this? thanks1

samp

Visit site
Sorry I can not help, if my horse has an energetic enough canter she changes on hr own. Something she has just taught herself, if she goes disunited she also sorts that out

vanessahook

Visit site
I use quite a few different techniques. Using a 20 metre circle as you come across X change the bend and your weight and ask for the change.
In counter canter use the three quarter line, as you get towards the short end ask for the change (the fence looming up usually helps them!!!)
Come across the diagonal as if you are about to come into counter canter, place a pole about 10 feet away from the track, as you go over it ask for the change.
Its horses for courses different things wrok for different horses but as soon as there is some reaction towards a change mine get a big pat and lots of encouragement.

Tempi

Visit site
I use the pole on the floor method that fantasia disbribed. Ive also done it with a pole at x so i can canter in lots of different directions over it - treat it like a fence and as he goes over the pole shift your weight slightly to the other direction to ask for the different lead. gradually he'l get the idea of what you are asking for and you can take the pole away.

K27

Visit site
Yes recommend same as above with a pole over x- they will get the hang of it in the end and then you can take the pole away...

Rambo

Visit site
Another vote for the pole on the ground method from me
smile.gif

Law

Visit site
I like the pole on the ground method but as soon as I moved the pole away he lost the concept. How many sessions learning this should I wait before I move the pole? He's got the idea of changing over the pole just has no idea when the pole is slid out a little.
(I'm having lessons just not had one for three weeks and not got one booked til end of next week- Instructor agrees that he can and will learn them and she advised the pole method too!)

sherwood'

Visit site
ok great thank you ill try the pole method. what are my aids when asking him t change- shifting weight and asking the bend- shud my new inside leg be on girth and new outside leg be behind?

amage

Visit site
if he is well balanced you can do ten or five metre back to track(teardrop shaped) loops. when you change the bend he will flick over legs. maybe start with pole on ground then teach the back to track to get him doing it without pole.

katiejaye

Visit site
The first thing is to make sure that your canter is good and balanced enough. I taught louis a few yrs ago to do changes (with the pole at X method) and he did pick it up but he rushed into them and wobbled out of them. New trainer said issue was he wasn't balanced/strong enough and collected enough to offer a better change. Went back to basics in the canter playing with collection and extension and changing diagnols in canter, trotting at X and then changing leg. I kept doing this on a figure of 8 gradually asking for less and less trot strides to change leg until he was sharp of my leg and contact and respecting my aids. Now we are introducing them again and it's much easier as a simple shift in balance/leg and a slight collection before I ask and he can change much easier.

Law

Visit site
That's the way I first tried it and it worked- back to trot for three strides over x and then ask quietly and he did that fine, reduced the number of strides to one and that was ok too. He got the idea but then started getting excited about it and launched through the change. We stopped doing it until we started having lessons again and my instructor said the pole method would be where she wanted to go with him.

Good luck 'sherwood

sherwood'

Visit site
thank you- that all makes sense about having a balanced canter and a nice bouncy change as he wud have the habit of "launching" as you said!

i have avoided teaching him it until this point as a 4 yr old he wud have changed quite happily himself altho never when you wanted him to so i have been working trying to stop him doing that!