Flying the flag for Clydesdale x's!

cblover

Visit site
Hi folks, anyone out there with a clyde x? Tell me all about them, particularly those with youngster who are yet to start their ridden life. I've got a 2 yr old clyde x heavy weight cob and he's turning into a big strong boy. He's tri coloured and we're just building our relationship together and going to a few local shows to educate him about the world. We're also working on ground work and I've built a horse agility course in one of my fields so we have a go at that too. He's currently 15.1hh on his withers and his bum is a good 15.2hh. How big are yours expected to grow? Here he is.............
Earlier this year just before he was 2.
IMG_4443-1.jpg

Weeeeeeee, having fun!
IMG_4422.jpg

He was 7 weeks here! Ahhh, bless!
IMG_2911-1.jpg

I plan to start him somewhere between 3-4 years, although he's had his saddle on now. Total non event! It depends on how mature I feel he is mentally and physically to accept the work. Once that bit is done and the basic understanding is in place, I'll see what he enjoys doing and we'll do more of that!

Would love to see pics of your clyde x's!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have a Clydesdale /welsh section D he's 16.1 and does horse driving trials dressage a bit jumping and hunts he's great a true multi purpose all rounder.
He's that lovely true Clydesdale colour with a fantastic sliver and black tail.

ClaireBlyth

Visit site
I have a 17.1 pure Clyde who has never worked and is just a happy hacker. He comes to call and is generally fab as he is so laid back and chilled, but very keen to get on with his work and super fast in canter. I love him to bits despite him eating me out of house and home!

NikkiF

Visit site
Think if you search there was quite a big thread on Clydie X's a few months ago :D Your boy looks lovely!

But will just show my boy off again! He's 17' 1", 15 yrs old and had him since a 5 yr old. Done most things with him but dressage was his forte until arthritis in his coffin joints struck :( Just light hacking now, but has such a fantastic temperament :D

DillonFieldHouse18-Oct-07.jpg
[/IMG]

Rollin

Visit site
Good for you for flying the flag. I saw a superb Clydie in a side saddle class at the Royal Highland Show.

Ballinton Stud in Thornhill, nr. Striling used to breed both Clydesdales and Highlands. Hugh McGregor who provided horses for the 1950's film Rob Roy can be applauded, not only for having the first Pony Trekking Centre in the Trossachs, but also for selling Clydesdales to Canada as riding horses.

One of my older farming neighbours in Scotland used to tell me how as a teenager he galloped Clydesdales bareback home from their ploughing duties.

What you will love of course, is that somewhere I have seen a reference to CB's being used in the original Clydesdale breeding programme. I can't find it at the moment but will have a hunt through my 'archives'.

Hot blooded horses do make a great cross with draught horses.

Lovely photos.

cblover

Visit site
Thats really interesting Rollin, would be great to know more about their history. And wouldn't it just be great to know that the wonderful CB is part of shaping the breed today.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
clyde X and shire X make super all round horses and they are athletic too! and normally gentle and kind. Good luck with yours looks like he will be a nice stamp. handle and manner him well before he gets too big, but dont play with him too much. allow him to mature with a nice companion to keep him in his place.

The mad TB

Visit site
Wow, what a gorgeous boy he is! He looks lovely, good luck with him!

If you go on YouTube and put in 'AsharpJumper77' her bay Aqua is a cross and is amazing!

cblover

Visit site
Thanks for your kind comments. Teddy is coming on a treat but I am mindful to treat him carefully. He's way too big for games in the field....I've never done that with him. He's got 2 companions to play with and time with me is when he must respect my space. He's handled every day and our relationship is a positive one. I'll check out the vids on you tube too! x

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My friend had a cracking one. He had been taken as part ex by a pro eventer, and his mates dared him to affiliate the horse. He did, and he went clear several times round BE90s, although he wasn't at all fast and racked up lots of time faults. My friend bought him and did BD with him - he got 90 dressage points. She also did RC stuff with him. He was her horse of a lifetime too. Tragically he died of colic. She searched for a similar one, and bought another Clydie. Again, he is doing great at dressage and rc stuff. This one is a bit faster, and recently she has been placed in two local xcs.

Turns out a lot of them are horses of a lifetime!