Foal aborted

Rollin

Visit site
I do agree that sometimes you need to listen to nature, but this mare has always conceived after one cycle. In fact I sent a CB mare and a Shagya to the Shagya stallion Tatianus in March.

The stallion owner told me it was too early in the year...but if I was happy to pay the livery. They both came into season within one week and both scanned in foal.

The last mare whose twin was pinched out, is a much loved CB mare who went to stud in Scotland, and after 4 cycles with frozen semen and a huge vet bill, she failed to conceive.

She too went to Tatianus, in France and after four cycles of natural covering failed to conceive.

Here on our own stud she was covered just once on Day 3 by our own Shagya stallion and scanned to twins. She produced a lovely foal. I would not give up but might think of doing something different next time.

Here she is.

image_zps607c97c7.jpg

JCWHITE

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your loss and hope the mare is recovering,
I am late to this thread, being in at Cheval Passion in Avignon last weekend, where I thought of you when we saw Shagya stallions in thier boxes, (dont ask me which ones as the Mistrale was doing its best to blow the whole show away).
Wishing you well, having had two foals abort, one on New Years Eve Millenium 2000, I know how you are feeling. My view at the time was that my mare was alive.
Good luck to you

Victoria25

Visit site
Such sad news – how is your mare doing?? Is she OK?

My mare went the whole full term. She originally had twins but one was pinched at an early stage. She then had to stay at the stud as the next scan showed a problem with the fluid but was then allowed home when all went back to normal. Over the next few months we took numerous photos/videos watching her stomach move around seeing limbs etc – for her to be born deformed (mouth/gums hadn’t developed) I was absolutely devastated as it was her first foal and my much loved mummy was very ill afterwards – at one she point she completely collapsed on the floor and I thought I’d lost her … it’s just so upsetting! x

Rollin

Visit site
Poor Victoria, your story is even more sad than mine. Awful to almost lose your mare as well. I hope she is recovering.

Thank you to all of you who have responded. Our mare is better. The vet did a good job evacuating the placenta and the reduction of feed and antibiotics worked, so no ill effects. She is a lovely mare to care for.

I am now deciding whether we put her back in foal this year, we normally don't foal our mares every year, and which stallion CB or Shagya.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I understand your sense of loss, Rollin. We lost a foal at 35 hours of age, despite the best of veterinary and Stud farm care. A bereft and empty mare is such a pitiful sight, isn't it? Over many years of farming sheep, there have been countless losses of lambs, and the saddest sight is to have a ewe wandering aimlessly about, calling for her departed lamb. I hate it. It's a little different for you as your mare didn't go full term, but she may just as well have done, for the effect. You're not alone.

Small consolation, but we do bounce back, eventually.

Alec.

Victoria25

Visit site
Good to hear Rollin - glad she's feeling better!

The vet came out that morning - flushed her out etc and did the usual and although she wasn't eating, she was still happy to walk about. Then in the afternoon, she just went down - as in flat out - really heavy breathing - eyes closed then she kind of breathed really deeply in and stopped ... I honestly hand on heart thought she had died - I literally jumped on her screaming and I think I shocked her that much she leapt up all wide eyed then within seconds was stood at hey haylage scoffing! Then I just sat and cried! But she's been fine since luckily.

Rollin

Visit site
I understand your sense of loss, Rollin. We lost a foal at 35 hours of age, despite the best of veterinary and Stud farm care. A bereft and empty mare is such a pitiful sight, isn't it? Over many years of farming sheep, there have been countless losses of lambs, and the saddest sight is to have a ewe wandering aimlessly about, calling for her departed lamb. I hate it. It's a little different for you as your mare didn't go full term, but she may just as well have done, for the effect. You're not alone.

Small consolation, but we do bounce back, eventually.

Alec.

You are so right. Years ago there was a fascinating TV documentary following a vet in Scotland. I remember after he helped with a difficult calving and delivered a healthy calf, he said, it is so important for the cow as she derives so much pleasure from her baby.

One of my mares, in pain and halfway through delivery was calling to her foal still wrapped in placenta.

GemG

Visit site
You are so right. Years ago there was a fascinating TV documentary following a vet in Scotland. I remember after he helped with a difficult calving and delivered a healthy calf, he said, it is so important for the cow as she derives so much pleasure from her baby.

One of my mares, in pain and halfway through delivery was calling to her foal still wrapped in placenta.

It might seem strange to compare with human birth, but I can only go from personal experience that all the trauma and pain throughout the birthing process melts away when you get to hold close and smell your newborn bundle. ...we are not so different from our animal counterparts. Lovely to see that vet you mentioned above refers to this maternal instinct in the programme.

It's so sad when things don't go the way they ought to, human or indeed animal.