Foal- Adult height

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
If you are showing a yearling that is not to exceed 154cm at maturity then it is not permitted to be more then 148cm. A 2/3yr old is 151cm. There has been mention of measuring foal from the elbow to the ergot & ea cm = a hand, I am going by memory which is not always that good. Never tried it so can't comment if it works.

Tia

Visit site
There is a very complicated mathematical way you can work it out.....however I did this with one of my previous foals - took me about 20 minutes to work it out and at the end of the day it was wrong!!

At the same time as doing the maths, I also did the string test - you put one end of the string in the centre of the knee cap and gently run it straight down to the coronet band....whatever the measurement is in inches, you convert to hands. So for example if the measurement is 13 inches then the foal should make 13hh. If it is 16 and a half inches then the horse should come out at around 16.2hh.

I've always used this test and it has been right (to within a close enough proximity) every time. Don't rely on what size the mother and father are though as this can often be a bit of a red herring. Good luck.
smile.gif