Foal Advice - Help please!!

Tifferss

Visit site
Hello Knowledgeable Folks :)

A friend at work bought a pony back in October and had the news yesterday that its in foal! She has absolutely no idea how to prepare, look after, make previsions for said new comer.

Could we have some tips, hints, check lists etc !!!

She is on a livery yard...this makes things a bit complicated i imagine.

Odd Socks

Visit site
Does your yard have a box big enough to foal in or have both mum and baby in after the birth? If not, find one, pronto!

MarinaBay

Visit site
She will need a box big enough to foal in and live in if need be. My mare foaled in June last year and came in at night for a lot of the summer.

What area are you in? You should see if you can find a stud locally to you to either offer advice or for the mare to be moved to for foaling. I would suggest your friend reads every book she can get her hands on. Can she get in touch with the previous owner and find out any further information?

Tifferss

Visit site
She will need a box big enough to foal in and live in if need be. My mare foaled in June last year and came in at night for a lot of the summer.

What area are you in? You should see if you can find a stud locally to you to either offer advice or for the mare to be moved to for foaling. I would suggest your friend reads every book she can get her hands on. Can she get in touch with the previous owner and find out any further information?

thank you!! and she bought her throu beeston sales :? she tried contacting the person on the passport but they sold her at 6 months.... the mare is 4 so the other owners never updated the passport

ischa

Visit site
To be honest is the yard have safe fencing ? and is paddock a group turnout or single ?
Stable is not a real problem but is handy if things do go wrong and you need somewhere to bring in
If your going to keep out make sure fencing is surcure so foal cant get underneath and mare is separate from others or decided if you are sending away to foal which in all honestly will be better for your friend and mare
But if not With care make sure vaccinations and worming are upto date , that you are feeding correct feed and weight , and make sure you get a foaling kit ready and vet on standby
And read plenty of books and if possibly anyone local who knows what to do Incase of emergencies and vet cant get to you in time

mrsbt

Visit site
Try not to panic, exact thing happened to me only my goal arrived 2 weeks after finding she was pregnant!
My boy turned 3 last week and I didn't have a clue at first.
I used the From Foal to Full Grown book too.
Feel free to pm me