Foal down on pasterns

billyslad

Visit site
I had a foal born on Saturday night that is rocking back on its pasterns I have been told not to panic as these will strengthen up over the next couple of days

Has anyone had this before and what happened ?

maestro

www.westonstud.co.uk
Dont panic, they come up amazingly with time. We have had a few and depending on the severity restrict turn out or barn turnout until stronger. Really bad one might need protective bandaging but we have never had one yet not come right. Just make sure the foal drinks plenty and is up and down as normal that in itself is good exercise.
smile.gif

tikino

Visit site
my filly from this year was born down on her pasterns. we just gave her limited turnout and she came up with out any problems and you wouldn't know she had a problem kno w so don't panic it will right itself

kerilli

Visit site
ditto, i've had a few like this. very limited turnout (so doesn't try to gallop to keep up with mum, i think.) one of mine had to stay in stable for a few days, on vet's orders. they all turned out absolutely fine.
best of luck with yours, looking fwd to seeing pics.

billyslad

Visit site
He is getting better and I have kept Mum and him in box , he has started cantering around the box now

I would upload photos but not sure how to